New

Continuing from last chapter.

Nicole had left, Eddie put Lainey in her crib to take a nap, and then helped Jamie clean up from lunch.

"So what did you think?" Jamie asked her, breaking the ice.

"She was nice." Eddie said.

"...that's it? Just nice?" Jamie said surprised.

"I mean what do you want me to say?" Eddie said shrugging her shoulders.

"I don't know but she mentioned she could clean and cook if we'd want her to! That would be a huge help!" Jamie exclaimed.

"I don't think I want a nanny." Eddie said nonchalant, washing the glasses they used. Jamie just leaned up against the counters behind her and watched her keep washing the dishes.

"What are you talking about?" He finally asked.

"I think we can do it, I'll work opposite hours as you, or go part time, maybe I'll just take more time off." Eddie rambled. Jamie turned the sink off in front of her, emptied her hands, and grabbed her arm to make her face him.

"What's going on? Where is all this coming from?" Jamie questioned.

"Nowhere." Eddie said.

"Okay well yesterday you were all for this and now today...?" Jamie was so confused.

"Today I realized I wanna stay her mom. I don't want to share that title." Eddie stated.

"Eddie you're not sharing that title, you will never share that title." He told her.

"Well that's what it's going to feel like when you have her cleaning and cooking dinner, AND taking care of our baby!" She raised her voice.

"Eddie I think this is all still just new, I think once it becomes routine you'll like it." Jamie tried to tell her.

"No! I AM THE MOM! I will clean the house and cook for my family!" She shouted back at him and walked away to their bedroom.

"Eddie...!" Jamie called out watching her walk away, confused on what the hell just happened. He didn't go after her right away. He needed a second to think this through and try to figure out where she was coming from and how to diffuse the situation instead of blow it up.

He went into their room and sat on the bed, waiting for her to come out of the bathroom.

"Come sit with me." He said patting the spot on the bed next to him when she opened the door. She listened, he saw her cheeks were flushed, she'd definitely been crying. He pulled her into a side hug.

"What are you upset?" He asked nice and calm. 

"I said. I don't want to share my title." Eddie said.

"No one can take your title." He told her.

"No because someday, when Lainey starts to babble and you know, start to call us mommy and daddy...she's not gonna know the difference from me and a babysitter. Especially when the babysitter spends more time with her. I'm scared I won't be the one she sees as mommy. And that's the last thing I'd ever want." Eddie explained and started to get emotional again, Jamie's heart broke hearing her.

"...Hey now...c'mon..." Jamie said feeling awful, he wrapped his other arm around her and rubbed her arm. He laid his head next to hers and tried to comfort her as best he could, but he didn't know what to say.

"I mean to me that just feels like she's the house wife and I'm your mistress. That's no way to raise a kid. Like I can hear it now-this women takes care of me all day cleans and cooks and then this other women who I'm supposed to call mom comes home later and goes to bed with my dad.- not cool!" Eddie told him.