CHAPTER 43 - HAIR-FLICK PRESSURE

All the battles for the Entry-Grade Battle Fiesta qualifiers are now finished. Gladiator and Kaiser pairs have lined up at the exit of the coliseum and are looking at the gigantic hologram board to see who passed the selection.

“Look, Mister Elzane! We won!” Raynevere jollily hopped as she pointed out our names on the hologram board.

It’s not surprising to see our names on the applicants who will be advancing to the next round, but I’m still happy to know that we’re now officially a participant in our very first Battle Fiesta. I can’t contain my smile anymore, and I clenched my fists.

“Yes! We did it!” I cried in happiness.

I looked at Raynevere who seemed to have shifted to a stern look. It took me a second to realize that she was not looking at me, but behind me. I turned around and saw Himeno Yuusha staring at Raynevere, through me. I just got caught in the middle of the crossfire of stares!

Himeno flicked one of her twin tails in a sassy manner, and her proud mouth talked.

“Congratulations, monster. I know you wouldn’t be eliminated this early. But that’s good for me too. I wouldn’t like it if I won the Treenity Innovations just because you got beaten by a nobody.”

“You bet, Miss Yuusha. I will prove to everyone, including you, that I am the rightful heir to the company my grandfather spent his life with.” Raynevere smiled with a hint of ferociousness.

“See you in the finals then.” Himeno flicked her hair once more and then started to walk away. Her unnamed Kaiser who was standing beside her all this time followed her like a loyal servant.

“Raynevere,” I muttered as I looked at her with a worried stare.

“Phew.” Raynevere held her chest and sighed. “I really can’t get over the pressure whenever I’m talking to her. It’s like I’m talking to a school principal.”

“Oh, you feel that pressure too, huh? She’s been staring at us a lot as if she wanted to kill us right there and then. It’s a miracle that I haven’t shat on my pants yet.” I forced a smile.

“I thought I’m the one who was being threatened. I’m sorry if you feel scared of Himeno too.” Raynevere smiled back.

“Well, we have no choice but to give our better next time. I will still have to think of a good strategy to beat her Transformation Card.” I said as I swiped my Kaiser Watch, and the main menu of the Gladiatrix System popped up right in front of my face.

However, Raynevere stopped me by putting my hand away and holding it tight.

“Don’t worry too soon, Mister Elzane! We just won the qualifiers, so it’s just right if we celebrate this victory first!” Raynevere said.

I looked at the hologram board of the coliseum and saw the date of the Battle Fiesta. It will be conducted two weeks from now, so we have plenty of time to relax. It’s not like we’re going to fight Himeno tomorrow anyway.

“R-Right,” I said as I deactivated the Gladiatrix System.

“Good!” Raynevere smiled and then clasped her hands as if she were praying to me. “How about we go to the barbecue restaurant a few blocks away from here? I think it’s a perfect place for a date!”

“A-A date!?” I muttered.

I know that it’s not the first time Raynevere asked for a date out of nowhere, and it’s also not like I haven’t gone on a date with her in the past. I should be used to it by now because she is my fiance, but I just can’t act like it’s normal.

“O-Okay.” I looked away to hide my blushing cheeks.

“Good! Let’s go!” Raynevere grabbed my hand and she started to pull me. 

My betrothed jollily skipped and hopped while humming a pop song while she leads me out of the Coliseum. Some Gladiators and Kaisers looked at us with envy and jealousy as I am holding hand-in-hand with a beautiful Gladiatrix. I’m pretty sure that they are talking about how unworthy I am of Raynevere.

Right before we reach the gate of the coliseum, we heard a familiar cry of a woman. The hollers are too childish to even call it a cry of a woman.

“Uwaaaaaah! We lost! We lost!” 

It was Esthesia who was weeping and rolling on the ground like the childish teenager she is. Firius the red-haired Cyber Knight is just there standing, not knowing what to do.

“Esthesia, please stop! People are watching us! You’re being scandalous here!” Firius cried.

“Uwaaaaaaah! What did I do wrong!?” Esthesia continued to cry.

Unfortunately, Firius’ gaze shifted to me, as if he felt my presence. His worried frown immediately turned to a smile when he saw my face, and then rushed to my side!

“Elzane!”

“W-What!?” I shrieked.

“Elzane, help me out! You see, Esthesia can’t stop crying because we lost and didn’t make it to the qualifiers! Esthesia has been looking forward to this Battle Fiesta, and now she’s too frustrated!” Firius said.

“Why won’t you leave her alone? You said that she’ll calm down eventually.” Raynevere reasoned out. I think there’s a hint of irritation in Raynevere’s words maybe because this is the second time these two have interrupted our date.

“I can’t leave her right now! We’re in the spotlight!” Firius said.

I looked around and confirmed what the red-haired Cyber Knight is saying. Most people are now encircled by the poor blonde teenager’s childish cries, and they are just looking at the weeping girl.

Raynevere realized the situation, and then let out a sigh. Then she finally gave her idea.

“Let’s have a double date then. Maybe that will calm her down.”