CHAPTER 70 - CHERRY BLOSSOM CONFESSION

The cherry blossom tree is said to be the most lovely place in the school. It stands tall at the northern edge of the campus' open field just a few meters from the gymnasium.

This legendary tree was already a witness to numerous confessions and heartbreaks. Once the fall winds brew, the sakura petals that swing everywhere are sure to make the place romantic. I have once dreamt of confessing my feelings to my ultimate crush. But I'm shy as a chick, so I always put it behind my mind.

Contrary to me, Raynevere has already rejected a lot of guys under that cherry blossom tree. It's safe to say that she has more experience under that legendary tree than I am, so I'm receiving some advice from my betrothed.

"Listen, Elzane! Reject that confession!" Raynevere's purple irises glared at me with seriousness.

"C-Confession? How can you be so sure that it's confession?" I asked, even though I know where she was coming from.

"It's one of those mysterious love letters I often receive! I already know how that thing works, even if it's just written on plain pink paper. And that beautiful penmanship... I'm almost certain that it's a girl who wrote that one!"

I looked at the letter and double-confirmed that it was written legibly, in cursive and italics.

Suddenly, Raynevere sniffed the letter and then looked at me.

"I'm one hundred percent that it is written by a girl! I can smell the expensive perfume on this letter!" Raynevere explained.

"Wow! You are perceptive, aren't you?" I said in amazement.

Raynevere grabbed my shoulders and then forced me into eye-to-eye contact. There are only a few times when Raynevere is too serious, and this is one of them.

"Listen, Elzane! I know I said I'm just using you, but please forget! I need you! So please, reject that girl!" There's a hint of nervousness in Raynevere's voice.

"A-Alright. W-Wouldn't it be better if I did not show up at all?"

"That won't do!" Raynevere exclaimed. "People need to know that you are already forced to marry someone! So you need to face it head-on!"

"O-Okay," I said.

Even if I'm not told to reject the confession, I will reject it anyway. I already fell in love with Raynevere a long time ago. And she is the best, safest, and absolute choice to be my future wife.

<>

I couldn't focus on the subjects for the past hours because I'd been thinking about the mysterious letter. I have no idea where it came from. The closest choice was Raynevere playing some flirty tricks on me, but judging from her panicked expression earlier, she was not the culprit.

I don't have any idea who this mysterious lover is, and the only way to find out is to see her for myself.

It was already afternoon when the classes ended. I walked alone, towards the empty field. The afternoon breeze is a mixture of lukewarm and cool. Sakura petals from the destination tree have flown past me. It is perfect weather for a romance.

Or a broken heart.

I saw a silhouette from afar. It was a petite slim girl. As I walked closer and closer to the cherry blossom tree, I finally figured out some of her appearances.

Her twin purple ponytails swayed as the wind blew. Her cybernetic cat ears twitched the moment she heard my footsteps. Her face is adorable, albeit a little bit perfect like a doll. Her crimson eyes looked at me with seriousness, but not with disgust.

"M-Miss Himeno?" I muttered.

"Good afternoon, Elzane Chaldeas." Himeno coldly replied. She flicked one of her ponytails as she looked at her side.

"A-Are you the one who sent the love letter? I-I'm sorry, I'm already betrothed to another woman-"

"Stupid! I'm not in love with you!" Himeno burst with reddish cheeks.

"W-What!?"

"I just wanted to see how that monster would react if her fiance received a mysterious romantic letter written by a woman. But that's not the purpose why I dropped it on your desk." Himeno crossed her arms.

"So you're not going to confess?" I said, entirely confused.

"I am going to confess, but not the confession you think of." Himeno put her hands on her hips and her red eyes glared at me. Contrary to most of our encounters, she seemed more friendly, at least in the eye.

"What do you mean?"

"I want to ask you why you are siding with that monster," Himeno asked.

"Monster? Do you mean Raynevere? You must be jealous of her if you call her that." I asserted.

"Well, because it's true. She is a monster. In a literal sense." Himeno replied calmly.