CHAPTER 99 - RAYNEVERE TREENITY

There was an eerie click sound the moment the glass elevator reached the bottom of the abyss. The Archive Room, which contains all the secrets of Treenity Innovations, is not a room but an entirely different world. It was dark everywhere; all we can see are those lights coming from weird huge test tubes.

"This is quite creepy." Raynevere held unto my arm.

"Creepy is not even the word for it. Terrifying is better." Master Siferas said.

"Let's just go and look for the information we are seeking. I don't want to stay here much longer than we needed to." Himeno took the lead, but she seemed scared. It's kind of a first for her to look like that.

"Okay, gentleman leads the way." Master Siferas said with a chuckle.

"W-Why me? You three are Gladiatrices, and I'm just a normal human being!" I cried.

"Don't worry, Zane! We go together!" Raynevere said with a forced smile. Then she tried to gently drag me to do the first steps in this so-called Archive Room.

The moment we stepped out of the elevator, there was another click sound, and lights flashed all over the area. It is when we realized that we are inside an underground warehouse that is gargantuan in size. I feel like I'm inside a five-combined hardware store with computers and shelves all around.

Suddenly, an icon of Treenity Innovations materialized right in front of us. It was followed by an AI voice.

"Welcome, President Raynevere Treenity. My name is Yggdrasil, the artificial intelligence assistant that can guide you with anything you need in the Treenity Innovations Archives. How can I help you?"

"Sweet! Your corporation even has this AI to make all information gathering faster!" Master Siferas said.

"There are lots of questions we need to be answered. Where should we start?" I asked.

Raynevere and Master Siferas shrugged.

Himeno wordlessly took a step forward and talked to the AI. "I'll go first. What happened to my father, Masaya Yuusha?"

"Dr. Masaya Yuusha is one of the head researchers of the Human Experimentation Division who succeeded Dr. Shion Yuusha, the first head researcher of the Human Experimentation Division. He worked under President Gawainus Treenity for ten years until the Great Escape Incident happened that killed him two years ago."

Himeno crossed her arms and her crimson eyes squinted a little. "What is this Great Escape Incident?"

"Great Escape Incident happened two years ago when the Department Head of the Experimentation Division unleashed the Numbered Kaiser Protocols and let the experimental Cyberdemons escape. The culprit of the Great Escape Incident is none other than Raynevere Treenity."

"T-That's-" Raynevere cried. It also shocked Master Siferas and me, but we couldn't argue for now.

"Hmph. So my information was true." Himeno flicked her purple hair and turned back to us. Surprisingly, she is still having this friendly aura to us, especially Raynevere. "Go on, Raynevere. Your turn to ask."

"R-Really? Aren't you going to ask more? Don't you doubt the AI's answers at all?" Raynevere asked.

"It will be better if you ask the questions yourself," Himeno said with a friendly smile. I kind of wary of her as she might deploy her kitty claws and stab us in the back.

Raynevere stepped forward and asked the AI while holding her trembling heart.

"U-Um... Was it true? Am I responsible for this Great Escape Incident and the running amok of the Cyberdemons?" Raynevere asked.

"No. You are incorrect. You are not responsible for any of the incidents or the other dark secrets of Treenity Innovations." The AI answered.

"Then who is?" Raynevere asked.

"Raynevere Treenity." The AI briefly answered.

We were quite stunned by this exchange of words. It doesn't make sense. The AI tells Raynevere that she is innocent but responsible at the same time. Is the AI broken?

Or is it...

A sudden flash of memory came into my head. I remembered the Masked Kaiser, having the same features as a Treenity. Purple eyes, black hair. I'm pretty sure that person has something to do with this.

"Who is Raynevere Treenity?" I jumped to question the AI.

It was then that we learned of a mindblowing truth. The AI presented the face of a hologram person; Raynevere Treenity. She has long black hair, purple eyes, and snow-white skin. She is as beautiful as ever in that photo, except that the right half of her face was burnt in this case.

"Raynevere Treenity is the granddaughter of Ex-President Gawainus Treenity and the head of the Human Experimentation Division. She is responsible for the Numbered Kaiser Protocol escapees and the Cyberdemon incidents in the Saltside City."

"And she is the Masked Kaiser." I gritted as I clarified more information.

"That is correct." The AI said.

"I knew it," Himeno muttered as she started to bite on her thumb. "I had a hunch that I was barking at the wrong tree."

"B-But if the Masked Kaiser is Raynevere Treenity, then... Who am I?" Raynevere asked as tears ran down from her eyes.