CHAPTER 108 - CONFLICT OF SCHEDULE

It took almost a whole day to interview Himeno about what she knew, and I got a chunk of useful information from her. Even though she has no idea about what the real Raynevere Treenity is trying to accomplish, I still have a gist of what we're dealing with.

The sun has fallen to the horizon. It was already six in the evening when light and darkness tried to engulf each other. The street lamps have yet to be lit, and I am alone on the sidewalk, trying to get to the main road.

I am busily looking at my phone, navigating my surroundings with a GPS map. It was a grueling half an hour of walking until I finally managed to get to civilization, and I waited for about fifteen minutes on the bench until a bus picked me up.

If only I knew that I would be wasting a great deal of my time here looking for public transportation, I would not have refused Himeno's offer to lend her a limousine on my way home.

When I was on the bus, my phone rang. It was Rayne. Since it's her nickname registered on my phone and I've been calling her by that name, I will just refer to my fiance and Gladiatrix as "Rayne" to avoid confusion. I immediately answered the phone.

"Hello? Zane? Where are you? Are you still in Miss Himeno's place? I'll come to pick you up, just activate the Gladiatrix System and activate the Striker Wing!" Rayne said with enthusiasm.

"N-No, I'm already on the bus. Should I drop by the corporation building?"

"No need, Zane! You went all the way to the secluded Yuusha Mansion. I know you're tired too, because... um... because of last night. You can go straight to your house and rest."

All of a sudden, a familiar voice from the other side of the phone can be heard on Rayne's side.

"Madam President, here are the reports for this month. You will need to review these as we have to submit them tomorrow morning! Hmph!"

"A-Ah! Okay!" Rayne said in agape.

"Wait, is that Esthesia?" I asked.

"Y-Yeah. She volunteered to be my secretary as a reward for helping out in our training during the Battle Fiesta. She's kind of a piece of work, and I wanted to fetch you up just so I can escape from this endless workload, hehe."

"Ahem! Madam President!" Esthesia cleared her voice.

"C-Coming!" Rayne replied in a panic. "Z-Zane, I will hang up now. My secretary is about to punish me with mountainous paperwork if I don't hurry! I love you! Byeeee~"

"I-I love you too. Bye-"

Then the line on the other side went dead. I don't think she heard my last line.

Man, everything must be so hard on Rayne. She can't catch a break now that she is the president of Treenity Innovations. There is also the second round of the Battle Fiesta which we should be preparing for.

I promised myself I will have to help my fiance with the paperwork first thing tomorrow morning.

<>

It was seven when the bus stopped on the highway nearest to my house. I will just have to endure two blocks of walking until I finally see our front gate. Honestly, it's quite punishing at this point as my hips are now aching like hell as if shards of glass are spiking my insides whenever I move my legs.

Not to mention my almost spraining hamstrings and my light head, I'm quite beat. The effects of the caffeine have worn off, and I'm sure if I drop to my bed, I'll fall asleep.

After a few minutes of walking until I finally stopped by the front of my house. My eyes widened in shock when I saw a familiar silhouette standing right beside our gate. I can't see her face, but I'm pretty sure... It was Raynevere.

"Rayne?" I asked.

Raynevere slightly glanced at me with a smile on her face. Her purple eyes twinkled as soon as she saw me.

"Glad to have you here, Elzane! I was waiting for you!" Raynevere said.

"I thought you had a lot of paperwork to do?" I asked. "Wait, did you skip on your very first day in the office?"

"Ahaha!" Raynevere scratched her head and stuck out her tongue. "I just wanted to see you. I'll return there later. Hey, hey, wanna grab a bite?"

"Sure. But where would you want to eat?"

"Follow me! I saw a newly-opened bistro nearby!"

Raynevere started to walk ahead of me, and I followed her like a loyal dog.

At this moment, I felt something was off from Raynevere. First, the conflict of schedule she had back when she called me. I'm pretty sure Esthesia will not let her escape her paperwork as the newly elected President of the corporation. Second, I am well aware of this place as this is my home. I know no newly-opened bistro is nearby, not even five blocks from here.

And lastly, Raynevere's metallic ears would often wiggle when she sees me. Her metallic elf ears are stiff now as if it was not natural. Moreover... This Raynevere whom I'm talking to refused to show her full face.

I have to bring insurance, but without this "Raynevere" knowing. So I pressed my phone inside my pocket with a speed dial. This ought to call the last person who called me, which is Rayne herself. If the "Raynevere" in front of me picks up her phone, then she is the real deal. If not...

We finally stopped walking when we were in the back alley.

And then, my eyes opened in shock at the next thing I saw.