Brother Of Mine

Pinto leaned his head against the little round window of the airplane. The sky was a dark, hazy blue with no clouds in sight and sprinkled with stars that all seemed to wink at him. All in all, it was the perfect night, but not for him it wasn't.

Pinto tried to hide the tears burning in his eyes, but he couldn't, sooner or later, they always made an appearance. He was a big boy; he was a man for goodness sake, 18 years old, and far too old to still miss his big brother like a baby. But was it, really?

He had a wonderful family on the Octopod like no other, and he didn't just mean Peso. Everyone on the Octopod had become family to him from the Captain who acted like the loving father he never had to Dashi, the cool big sister everyone wanted. He'd seen all his older siblings and Octo-Siblings leave for college; he'd cried then as well. Everyone else had too, but now it was his turn, and he was a disaster.

Pinto missed Peso. There was no denying that. He loved his big brother more than anything. Peso was the reason he was flying off to Antarctica for medical school after all. If only leaving wasn't so hard.
—————————————————————
Peso gazed at the photo on his bedside table and sighed. He'd never thought Pinto would grow up so quickly. It seemed like one day ago that his cheeky little brother had been speaking in Hamilton lyrics and pulling funny faces at the fish that passed by. Now, his little boy was a young man, off to medical school to start the next chapter of his life. How he missed him already