Chapter 119: Best friend encounters.

An annual fireworks display held at the riverside Kasenji.

In the first year of junior high school, I went with Yuki Yuki and a few other classmates.

 From the second year of junior high school, Kouya Kouya joined us, and in the third year of junior high school, just the three of us watched it.

 Last year, we had a lot of fun talking about taking the entrance exam to ...... the same high school.

In terms of my academic ability, it was a pretty tough high school, but I studied hard for the exam from the summer holidays in order to get a good start.

I wonder what the story will be this year.

 I try to make light of it and let something that has been weighing on me down out of my chest.

 Unlike in previous years, I don't feel a sense of enjoyment.

 I walk along the riverside path, suppressing my racing heart, dragging a feeling of excitement, which is different from nervousness.

''We're almost ...... to the meeting place, .......''

 The appointed place is a convenience store car park a short distance from the venue.

 We gather there, then go to the food stalls, and finally settle down on the riverside steps to watch the fireworks. This has become a regular event for us.

 I have to walk once along the street to the convenience store where we meet, because of where my house is located.

 So under the summer sky as dusk approaches, I'm walking alone along the crowded street of food stalls.

"............"

 I'm being watched a lot.

 Various people on the street.

'Hey! Hey, Mum! That girl is so cute!

I want a yukata just like hers!"

"Hey, be quiet. You're making trouble for her."

 Some of the children are smiling and laughing, while others are saying.

"Hey, did you see that girl just now?"

She's still a little tiny, but she's pretty good-looking.

She's a gaijin, isn't she?

'Silver hair and a yukata, that's foul. That's not good. That's ......."

Is she a celebrity?

No, she's more than that."

 The high-school-aged boys were whispering to each other as they passed by.

 Phew, that's a relief.

 I'm totally, utterly ----.

 So embarrassing!

 There was a limit to how far I could go in pretending to be strong inside and not be bothered.

 So, naturally, I tend to walk in a downcast manner so as not to make eye contact.

For instance, I want to eat chocolate bananas as soon as possible, shaved ice, jagabata (potato butter), ramune (soda pop), and this year, candy? I've seen a lot of people carrying around things that look like square bags of candy. I was thinking about buying some cotton candy, too.