31. The Campbells

Asher's POV

" Please be calm Ash. Just let me do the talking " Sophia said as we entered the restaurant. We came to a restaurant near my office to meet her father.

" No Sophia. This time you stay quiet and I'm doing the talking " I told her firmly.

As we entered inside,I saw him talking over phone to someone more harshly. We both went and stood before him as he cut his call.

" Daddy ? " Sophia asked him taking her seat next to me.

" Oh.. it's Ryan. He is reaching here on Friday evening " he said while looking at his phone.

" Hi.. Asher, Finally ... I'm meeting you after a long time. So when was the last time we met? " He said with his rough voice turning away from his phone.

" Good noon Mr.Campbell. Can we make this quick, I have important works to do " I said.

" Well..Always in a rush. Coming to the point, I heard about your fake dating  with my daughter. I expected something different from you guys." He said eyeing Sophia.

" Let me make this clear Mr Campbell, I'm not dating Sophia. She is just my friend. Dating and getting married never works between us. " I told him genuinely.

" Now you are disappointing me Sophia " he spoke to her ignoring my statement.
" Dad.. I.. I..  " she stammered. I could see anger evident in his eyes whereas Sophia had a pale face.

' Am I missing something here. Why is he pushing her to this. Then suddenly I realised, His Company ? '

" Listen Mr Campbell, If this is about saving your company from bankruptcy, then it's not gonna work. I have no interest in investing for your company. " I informed him with a stern voice.

" Oh Asher Come on.. It's not about my company . I'm not an evil father. It's about my daughter's liking for you. She likes you from high school "He said with a sly smile.

' Liar. She never liked me. I know that for sure. '

Sophia gave a tight press on my hand signalling me to stay calm .

' I'm running out of patience. I came here only for her. But I'm regretting it now '

" Mr Campbell, I'm not going to give any fake promises to you or to your daughter. I'm already fed up with this drama. I have other important things to take care of. So stop this nonsense. Business, No business I don't care. I'm never going to marry Sophia.  " I told him with a warning tone.

" But Asher.. It was her mother's last wish. It was my Sharon's last wish. She always wished to see you both getting married. " He said sounding emotional.

" Daddy.. Don't even say her name. You don't have that right. " Now Sofia raised her voice. She was about to break down.

" Don't raise your voice against me child. I'm your father. Don't forget that. You will face the consequences for this. " Campbell warned her more like in a hushed tone.

"I guess my business here is done Mr Campbell. And if you want to meet me in future, just get an appointment. Bye Sophia." I told them and left the restaurant.

I was on my way to the parking, I heard someone calling my name. As I turned around,I saw Sophia came running towards me.

" Thank you for coming " she said while panting. I just gave her a nod.

" Hey.. About thanksgiving dinner at Richards? You are attending right ? "
She asked me again.

" Yeah. What about you? " I asked her.
" Hmmm.. I have to. No other options. " She said with a smile.

" Soph .. there is always an option. You don't have to .. " She raised her hand to stop me from talking.

" I know Ash .. Whatever may be his intentions are, at the end of the day he is my father. " She said with a smile.

" I don't know. He treats you well right? " I asked her out of concern.

" Yeah .. I'm good.. " she said looking at her phone.

" Ok then .. Bye. I'm sorry for today. And will see you on Friday at the dinner. "

" Uhm.. about that .. Do you have a date for the dinner ? Do you mind if I join you ? " She asked me with little hesitation.

" I don't have a date. But I guess you can accompany me. I don't mind it. " I told her.

' What about Ziva ? ' my mind asked me. I just ignored that thought. She thinks me as a mistake. She will definitely not like me to accompany her. We both bid bye and I drove my car towards my office.

' Ziva Hastings I may be your mistake  but you're my right answer '

***************************************
Please Vote
And Share ❤️