Chapter 123: Fireworks (Vol. 5 End)

"A lie?" Hakuta responded in shock. She never came across as the kind of girl to be dishonest with him. If anything, he assumed she was more so the type to hang it all out on her sleeve. "What do you mean? Did you do something wrong?"

"I always told myself, maybe I shouldn't have let him talk to that girl. That maybe if he just stuck with me, he'd still be friends with me." She explained. "But when I saw him again, I had to think about what happened before. It's too obvious, but it was all my fault. I'm the reason Masahito stopped liking me."

"Somehow, I feel like that was what he was trying to tell me." Hakuta replied, mulling on her words. "Though he was being incredibly rude about it, I'll say that for sure."

"I just want you to tell me the truth now." She stopped throwing rocks to brace herself for what she believed he would say to answer her. "You understood how he felt, right?"

"I think I have a good idea." He sighed in response. "When you were little, you always dragged him along. In fact, I bet you both probably like doing it when you were real young, but then slowly he got older." She also got older, just like him and everyone else. But something about her didn't change as much as they did, if at all considering Hakuta's own relationship with her. "Then one day, he just up and told you he didn't want to be friends anymore."

"..." She slowly nodded her head in response to him, keeping mostly silent. Iruka had her head pointed down, where he was certain she only did so to keep her face hidden to not reveal the tears forming from reliving her past. "When I saw him after that, I saw he had plenty of other friends he enjoyed being with more than me." The girl felt like an idiot. She always thought they were special with each other. Just because they were friends since childhood.

"Even though I disagree with how he did it, I can see why he did." A part of him felt a bit jealous. To be able to just cut ties with someone so easily. Hakuta couldn't understand why despite him acting so similarly, that he was unable to make the same transition. In fact, he would normally try to get these girls back if they really did try to distance themselves from him.

"So that's another thing I got real scared about." She agreed with him, but it only served to give her more concern. "I was trying to avoid you so we didn't have to talk about it." Iruka knew it would be impossible to do this forever, but she had been too emotionally unstable to consider better options. And was very much unwilling to actually talk to figure things out. "I thought you would agree with him and..." Her voice trailed off as she was not willing to entertain the thoughts which had been clouding her mind since that day.

"See, that's the difference between me and him." Hakuta laid back and threw another rock. He managed a bit better success as it skipped on the surface once before falling into the depths. "He shouldn't have bothered to talk to us. I have my own life and I can make my own decisions." While a lot of things had occurred outside of his control lately, Hakuta still believed he was in control of his fate. He worried if he had been forcing himself with these girls, but that was never the case. As he had said before, he was there because he wanted to be. "It doesn't matter if he was worried for me, I'm not someone who needs someone else telling me what to do."

"Then you don't hate me?" She asked after hearing out his entire tangent. "Because I don't want you to force yourself to like me or anything." Iruka picked up a rock, though she didn't throw it as she toyed with it with her fingers. "I realize now that Masahito was right, I really was being selfish and immature with him. And I still do that with you, what with all the crying and childish things."

"Iruka I play video games." He countered. "I don't care if you like the same things as children, even if I'm not into it myself." Though he realized there was no way for him to beat around the bush when it came to how they lacked a lot of things in common. "But maybe it would be nice if you listened to me more. I only say stuff because I care, it's not that I'm just being a meanie for no reason."

"Heheh, you do act like a dad all the time." She giggled, putting on a smile for the first time in a while. "Are you sure you're not just some guy who's reliving his high school years?"

"I'm pretty sure." He answered, not appreciating being compared to some guy who was in his 40s. But Hakuta was glad to see her being much more happy. "And I'm glad you're willing to listen. I just want to be able to do things I like, just like you want to do the things you love."

"Then you don't have to worry about telling me that ever." She replied. "I just like being with you, it doesn't matter to me what we're doing as long as we're having fun."

"I mean, its' not like I hate doing the stuff you like." While the playground trip wasn't what he'd consider fun on its own, Hakuta didn't hate it so much that he got upset with her or anything. "But next time let me choose my ices cream flavor next time." He smiled and put out a pinky finger for her to grab.

"Deal." She laughed and accepted his offer as she was able to toss her rock again. "I hope no one else is mad at me. I've kind of been a complete downer all week now."

"No one's mad." He assured her as he heard the sounds of explosions in the sky. While he had been looking at her, he saw the girl's body become illuminated with the various dues of blues, reds, and yellows. "Huh?"

"Oh!" She turned her head up into the sky to see the sights of glowing lights in the night sky. "Fireworks!" They had been sitting together alone for so long, that they didn't realize it was time for the fireworks display to go off and put on a show.

"Wow, shame we can't see this with everyone else." He commented, lying back to enjoy the sights. If they walked back now, then it'd be over by the time they rejoined the others. So instead of missing the show, he figured they were better off staying put.

"That's fine." Said Iruka. "It's nice to be able to see this all by ourselves too. If it's you, then I really don't mind."

"But I'm sure you're parents could know you're all right so they can enjoy this fully." She was happy, but no one but him was aware of this fact. So he concerned himself that they might be more sad despite the fun display above them.

"That's easy to take care." She pulled out her phone and sent off a quick message letting them know she was safe and fine. "See?" Iruka put the phone's screen up as proof. "I swear, you really are like a dad."

"I guess when I'm older, then I'll be ready." He joked on his future where he'd be a great parent. "Of course, a little impossible when I'm not even looking for any girls right now."

"Yeah... I guess you're not." She turned around to face him as he continued to lay on the ground.

"What's up?" He asked. Whenever the fireworks lit up the sky, the illumination cast a strong shadow that prevented him from seeing her face properly. So Hakuta had no idea what she felt without any signals of body language. "Nothing's wrong, right?"

"Of course." She giggled, then leaned onto the boy. Since he was on the ground, there was no place for the boy to move to get away from her. This allowed her free game as she placed her lips onto his. They share a small, innocent kiss as the fireworks were the only source of light to allow anyone to see them by the river.

"...Iruka..." He was at a loss for words when their lips separated. This was the first time he had ever been kissed on the lips, despite all the other kisses he had gotten so far. "You... But..."

"We all know about Ninka, but I just couldn't help myself." She told him, the darkness along with the fireworks casting hard shadows hid away her blushing cheeks. "I know you say you're not interested in any girls right now, and I'm fine with just being friends. It's just that if you ever do change your mind, that I want to let you know that I'm there." Their relationship would change, but only internally and only known to the two of them. Outside, things would be as if nothing had happened.

"I understand." He had never had a love confession just like this one before. And it pained him to hold back and not give an answer, but tonight couldn't be that time. "I'll always think of you." 

Author's Note: Here's the ending to volume 5. Big thanks to all those who have stuck around this far. In my mind, We're towards the end of the story, but I've been thinking of doing multiple endings again. Will have to think about it and would love to hear other people's thoughts on it. But otherwise hopefully we'll be able to get everything done before the end of the year. It'll be challenging, but I'll try my best.