Past and Future 2

Hakuta was unable to have that conversation with Iruka. Partially because of the interruption, but also because the extra time beyond his impulsive decision got the boy to lose the nerve in confronting her. It was a serious topic and playing video games gave him more comfort.

So that was how the rest of his day went, but it wasn't as if he just went and forgot about it either. The boy simply wanted to consider some other things first before mentioning it.

Such as what he thought of the girl himself. It was one thing to receive a confession from someone, but it was an entirely separate matter in considering one's own feelings. So what did Hakuta feel for her? Was there a particular reason for him to be thinking of her so much after that moment?

It was little different compared to how she described her time avoiding him before. How she had done so much thinking it caused her head to hurt. As he sat at his desk, trying to focus on doing his homework, Hakuta found it challenging to answer the questions without his mind wandering onto her. There was also another big factor distracting him and it came in the form of a loud noise slamming open the door to his room.

"I'm here!" It was Iruka, loudly announcing her presence to him. Her sudden arrival sent him flying out of his chair in fear. A rather unmanly display where he obviously was not safe were this a real intruder. "Um, you weren't doing something private in here, were you?" She stared at him as the boy laid on the ground.

"Thankfully no." He replied, getting back up to his feet. "I was just doing some homework, so why are you here?"

"Ahahaha..." She nervously laughed. "You know about that test the teacher talked about to get us back into school?"

"You need help." He sighed, knowing that she of all people would panic over a small test meant to jog their memories after a long break. "What's wrong with just running over all the notes you took back before the summer break? It's not like I need to teach you anything you couldn't have already written down."

"We're supposed to be writing notes?" Apparently she had failed to do so. Which made him wonder what she was up to during their lecture time while sitting behind him. It wasn't as if the boy could check on her to ensure she was doing her work as she was supposed to.

"Yes, and I suggest you do that from now on." He moved some of his homework to the side. "Fine, we're help you study for a little bit, but I have my own stuff I wanted to do too." Hakuta couldn't believe she'd show up unannounced in his room today. But she did act like they were apparently friends who grew up together, even though they had only known each other for a couple months.

"Great!" She gave a fist pump in enthusiasm, which got lost when she saw him standing up. "Um, what are you doing?"

"I only got one chair, so you can sit and I'll show you some stuff."

"That's barely fair." She took his hand and instead led the boy to his bed. "Let's sit here, it's much more comfortable than being stuck at a desk."

"You know I can sit at that desk for hours without problems, right?" He had indeed enjoyed many late nights without leaving his chair, though he was wrong about no problems. It wasn't particularly good for his lower back. "But whatever, this isn't a bad place either."

So he sat alongside her as the girl pulled out her books from class to open and read upon. It wasn't tough work, since he knew their upcoming test wouldn't be difficult. In fact, it was so easy that none of the other girls who normally needed help such as Shiuka or Ninka even thought to come to him to study. But somehow Iruka, or perhaps this was expected, was the only one desperate enough to consider getting aid instead of doing it on her own.

"Oh, I see." Fortunately, since it was so simple. He didn't have many challenges in getting her to understand the coursework for now. "That makes a lot of sense."

"Iruka, how come you didn't ask for help after school?" He asked once they got an even simpler section. Hakuta noted she was not wearing her school uniform, which made sense as there was a good gap between when classes had ended until she had arrived to his house. "It's be much easier to sit in the library for a bit." While he wasn't against using his room, the boy knew there were a good dozen better alternatives.

"Because your room's so much better." She laid herself back onto his bed when she made her response. "I have to be so quiet in the library and I'm stuck in my uniform, so that's why I went home first to change. Plus, it's funny to see you get all scared when someone shows up out of nowhere."

"It's not that funny to me." He muttered to himself. One of these girls were going to serious regret walking in on him without knocking one of these days. "And I guess if you want to be more comfortable, that's fine. It's just that we're talking about your schoolwork, it's important to take care of things properly without wasting time."

"You might not be wrong, but I still like your room more." She replied. He wished she didn't have to feel this way though. Spending so much time alone in his room was sure to stir some things up. Maybe it was all in his head, but she had gotten rather close to him in this manner and he had all but allowed it to occur.

"Either way, don't think I'm going to let you laze about just because it's my bedroom." He tugged on her blouse to get the girl sitting back up. "Just a little more, then we'll be done." He pointed out the last chapter needed to be covered so they could be finished and she could leave.

"Okay." She begrudgingly looked over the last few bits of information to obtain. Knowing her, despite her words of positivity, he had to wonder just how much she actually had been learning. Hopefully none of this would be a waste of time.

"And that should be it." It certainly seemed to be a waste of time, at least in the learning sense, when he pointed out the last bit only to turn his head and see her looking at him instead of the book. "What's up?"

"Oh, nothing." She realized him noticing her and turned away to not have to face him. "Just got a bit distracted, that's all."

"That seems a bit more than just distracted." He commented, wondering if she still thought about that night like he did. "Look, I don't know if you should just keep going into my room. It's a little weird when we're older, you know, since you're in a boy's room all by yourself."

"But I like coming here." She shut the book, ending their study session. "Because I like you... I mean, I like being with you and stuff. It's normal, right? We're just friends, so who doesn't want to hang out with friend?" The way she put it didn't inspire much confidence in him that was all she meant. In fact, Hakuta began to realize that it wasn't just him who was still thinking about that night.

"Don't get me wrong, it's not like I hate you being here." He assured her. This was what he had been worried about before. That their relationship had changed and he wouldn't know what to do next.

"I went too far before." She hastily put all her things into her bag and got up from his bed. "I'm sorry for bothering you. I should be heading home now."

"Iruka, I really hope I didn't upset you." He said as she walked towards his door.

"Don't worry about me." She paused for a moment after opening to the door to address him. "I'm perfectly fine." Iruka gave him a disingenuous smile as she waved goodbye to him and walked out.

Hakuta took off his glasses and squeezed the bridge of his nose in frustration. This girl was beyond weird and it didn't help him that he had little experience in dealing with romantic feelings. Ironic, seeing as he had spent the past couple months dealing with Ninka. But things certainly were different when it came to someone he was much more conflicted about.