Starting a Band

Emerson

I sat at the picnic table with my family. It was our annual Memorial Day camping trip. We had done it every year for as long as I could remember. When we were little, we used to run around and play hide and seek in the woods. Now though our games had progressed to Truth or Dare. I hated playing it with them because their dares were always crazy and embarrassing.

"Embry, truth or dare?" Violet asked.

"Truth," Embry said.

"Chicken," Violet said making chicken noises.

"Just ask me my damn question Vi."

"Fine, have you ever kissed a girl? If so who?" Violet asked.

"Yes, Becky Monroe," Embry answered.

"Who hasn't kissed Becky Monroe, would be a better question," I laughed.

"So you got my sloppy seconds?" Embry joked.

"Oh," Romeo said as he high fived Embry.

"So Emerson, truth or dare?" Embry asked.

Shit, it was my turn. I thought carefully about what to choose. "Dare."

"I dare you to go over to that girl by the red RV and just kiss her. It has to be a good kiss too. No pecking allowed." Embry said.

"Dude our parents are right there. They'd be watching me!" I replied.

"So, are you chicken?" Ryssa asked.

"Have you ever even really kissed a girl Emerson?" Riot asked.

"Yeah remember I kissed Becky Monroe," I answered.

"Ha ha ha, oh yeah you got Embry's sloppy seconds," Fender teased me.

"How do you know that it isn't the other way around?" I spat at them.

"Dude, just go kiss the girl already!" Dacia said.

I got up with all eyes on me. The closer I got to the girl the more my palms began to sweat. I wiped them on my shorts and she looked up at me. At least she was as cute close up as she was far away. She had pretty reddish brown hair and had blue eyes that I was instantly lost in.

"Hi," she said shyly. "I was hoping you'd be the one to come over here."

"Hi," I said back as I smiled at her. "I'm Emerson."

"Like the band Emerson Drive?" she asked.

"Who?" I had never heard of them.

"It's just some old band my parents listen to. I'm Caroline by the way," She looked at the ground and kicked some dirt with her shoe.

"KISS HER ALREADY," my family yelled.

"Look this is going to sound really bad but my cousin dared me to kiss you," I said shyly.

I hated the fact everyone was watching me. Even my parents had turned around to see what was going on. I looked back at them and quickly looked away.

"Oh well you better do it then. I wouldn't want you to look bad in front of them," she responded.

So I just went for it. I stepped closer to her and brought my lips to hers. She tasted like pineapple lip gloss. She wasn't the first girl I had kissed but she was by far the best kisser. She put her hands in my hair and I deepened the kiss. I literally didn't care who was watching.

All of a sudden she was yanked away from me. Her dad was standing behind her with his hand wrapped around her wrist. "Do you make a habit of kissing girls you don't know?"