Hairy Arms and Tiny Chin Guitars

Riot

I walked into my music theory class late on the first day of school and the only seat left was next to a girl with short golden blond hair. She smiled at me as I walked past her and sat down. I smiled back and sat in the seat. The teacher was having us introduce ourselves and tell what instrument we played.

When it came to her turn she stood up and said, "Hi my name is Audrey Sinclair and I play the tiny chin guitar." She held up her violin case in the air.

I laughed so hard I snorted. Then I noticed all eyes were on me, so I just waved. I was embarrassed and sure my cheeks were bright red. I looked down at my desk and hoped they'd stop watching me. Soon introductions continued and it was my turn.

I stood and said, "Hi. I'm Riot Lynch and I play the cello."

"I love your name!" Audrey said.

I sat back down and mumbled thank you to Audrey. The rest of the class every time I looked up Audrey was watching me. I had to admit she had a beautiful smile. Her personality reminded me a little of someone my uncle Ellington would love. They seemed to have the same since of humor. With her though, I wasn't sure if was just her sense of humor or if she was a little crazy.

When class was over I was standing in the hallway talking to my roommate Nick, when Audrey walked up. She just stood there and watched me. Nick smiled at her, but she didn't even acknowledge him, her eyes were focused on me. I looked at her and smiled. I really didn't know what to say or what she wanted. It was really awkward.

"You have really hairy arms," she said as she stroked my arm.

"Um....thanks?" I wasn't sure what to say to that. Then she just skipped down the hallway.

"Dude that chick's crazy!" Nick said.

I laughed. He was right she was a little crazy, but she intrigued me. I wanted to know more about her and find out the reason she was so weird.

"Yeah, in class the teacher asked us to say which instrument we played and she said she played the tiny chin guitar," I told him.

"The what?" Nick asked confused.

"She had a violin case so I'm assuming that's what she meant," I laughed.

"Doesn't your mom play the violin?" Nick asked as we started walking.

"Yeah so?"

"You like her, don't you?" Nick teased.

"Maybe," I said back.

"Well good luck with that one, dude," Nick warned me.

I ran across campus back to my room leaving Nick behind me shaking his head. I went in and sat on the bed. Just as I got out my cello to play my phone buzzed in my pocket. I took it out and looked at it. My mom's number flashed across the screen.

"Hi mom," I said as I answered the phone.

"Hi baby, how was your first class?" she asked.

"Good, met some nice people," I said.

"Any girls?"

I hesitated. I wasn't sure if I should tell her about Audrey yet. I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do about her. My mom would totally take it there if I told her about it though. She wanted me to move on and get over Natalie. Natalie had broken up with me when I decided to go to Julliard and leave her behind in California.

"Maybe one," I said.

"What's her name?"

"Audrey Sinclair," I said as I waited for the twenty questions to begin.

"What instrument does she play?"

"The violin," I smiled. I knew my mom would love the fact she played the violin. I used to love to hear my mom play when I was little and she would play for my sister Ryssa and me.

"Aw...you always loved to hear me play," she said.

I could tell from the sound of her voice she had tears in her eyes. My mom and I were always close. We shared a love for classical music the way my dad and sister did for the bass guitar. My dad and I never saw eye to eye on a lot of things.

"Is she pretty?" my mom asked after a silence.

"Yeah, she's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen," I answered. Shit did I just say that out loud? And to my mother?

"Awwwwwwww....that's so sweet Riot!"

Just then Nick came through the door. He noticed I was on the phone and sat down on his bed and stared at me. He made a motion with his hand for me to wrap up my conversation. I nodded.

"Mom I gotta go," I said.

"Okay I can't wait to meet Audrey," she said like we were already dating or something.

I just said, "Okay."

"Well I love you baby," my mom said.

"I love you too mom," I said as I hung up.

"Dude you are entirely too close to your mom!" Nick laughed.

In the week we had known each other, he had tease me about how much I talked to my mom and sister. He even wanted to meet my sister but the verdict was still out on if I would allow that to happen. He seemed like a big ladies man and I didn't want him to try and seduce my innocent little sister.

"Why'd you run off earlier?" Nick asked.

"I didn't want to discuss Audrey with you anymore," I answered.

"Anyway, dude you missed it!"

"Missed what?" I asked curiously.

"All the hot chicks on this campus!" he smiled.

"I haven't missed the fact that there are a lot of hot girls on campus, trust me," I said.

"Can I ask you something?" Nick asked.

"Yeah what?"

"Are you seriously going to continue to wear that thing?" he motioned to my finger.

I stared at my finger and the purity ring. I had forgotten about even having it on. It was something that was important to my parents, but I hated it. I knew my dad and my uncle Ross just wanted what was best for us when they had decided to make us all wear them, but the ring made me feel like a goody two shoes. I took it off and placed in my night stand drawer. I was an adult now and no one was her to tell me what to do.

"So I'm guessing since you were wearing the ring you're still a virgin, uh?" Nick asked.

"Um....Yeah," I answered shyly.

"Dude, we gotta fix that problem," he shook his head.

"So I assume you're not?" I asked.

"Not since I was fifteen!"

The next day I went to the practice rooms to practice and heard the sound of the violin coming from an open door. I followed it and found Audrey playing her violin. She didn't know I was watching her so I just stood there mesmerized. She was amazing. I closed my eyes and listened.

"Do you enjoy hearing me play Riot?" I heard from in front of me.

I opened my eyes and Audrey was standing in front of me. I smiled at her. She got up on her tippy toes and kissed me. I kissed her back and pressed her up against the wall of the practice room. I fisted her hair with one hand and with the other I pulled her closer.

"Excuse me, these rooms are for practicing not kissing!" an older man said. "Can you take it elsewhere if you're not playing an instrument?"