About Last Night

Embry

I woke up the next morning in Cameron's arms. I smiled and snuggled closer. I just laid there with my eyes closed and thought about last night. I hoped my dad would come around. Dad needs to just accept Cameron like he did when he thought we were just friends. Cameron is the love of my life, and I want everyone to know how much he means to me.

"Aren't they so cute together?" I heard from the door way.

I recognized the voice as my mom's. I keep my eyes closed. I wasn't ready to leave Cameron yet.

"So what happened last night?" Cameron's mom asked.

"Basically Embry's little brother outed him," my mom spoke again.

"You mean you guys didn't know?"

"I suspected but wasn't sure. Ross apparently had no idea. How long have you known?" my mom asked.

"I've known Cameron was gay since he was ten. So I've known about him and Embry since the beginning," Cameron's mom said. "I take it Ross didn't like it."

"He just doesn't understand."

"How do you feel about it?"

"He's my son and I love him. If Cameron makes him happy I'll have to accept it," my mom answered.

"I love you too, mom," I said.

"Come on Embry, we need to get home before your dad does," she told me.

"Can we have a minute before we leave?" I asked.

"Sure but make it quick. I don't know when your dad will be back from Uncle Riker's."

I watched them walk away and turned to Cameron. He was awake now. He didn't want to let me go because he just kept holding me. I wanted to stay here with him. I didn't want to go face my dad, but I knew I had to at some point.

"Do you want me to go with you?" Cameron asked.

"No, not right now. It might make it worse than it already is," I stated. "I want you there tomorrow when I tell the rest of my family though."

"I'm not sure I'm gonna know what to do when you are fully out. I mean, I have gotten so used to trying to hide it from everyone, except my parents," Cameron expressed.

"It's something I need to do. I'm tired of hiding who I am."

"So does this mean we don't hide when school starts either?" Cameron questioned.

"No, I want to walk in the first day hand in hand and let everyone know we're together," I declared as I sat up to look at him.

I wanted to see his reaction to that statement. Cameron grinned ear to ear. We had never talked about letting everyone at school know we were a couple. All our friends knew Cameron was gay, but they had no idea I was, much less dating Cameron. It had been two years. I guess my friends weren't as observant as my siblings and cousins.

"Embry we need to go. Your dad's on his way home," my mom shouted from the bottom of the stairs.

I kissed Cameron quickly and whispered I love you in his ear. He said it back, and I got off the bed.

"Good luck," Cameron said as I left the room.

Dad was pulling into the driveway when we came out of Cameron's house. He looked like he hadn't slept all night. The three of us walked into the house in silence. We went into the kitchen and dad and I sat at the table. My dad ran his fingers through his hair. It was sticking up all of the place and I wanted to laugh at him but now was not the time. Mom started making pancakes as dad and I talked.

"Look Embry, I still am not sure how I feel about you and Cameron dating. To be honest I'm trying to accept it. I love you, and I am so sorry for last night. I acted on my anger, and I shouldn't have," dad admitted.

"I'm not going to pretend what you did was okay, but I can forgive you. It was not the way I wanted you to find out."

"If you're dating though, same rules have to apply as if Cameron was a girl. When you're in your room together the door must be open at all times. I know Cameron drives so if you are on a date you will have a chaperone. In this house kissing will be kept at a minimum and I still expect you to honor the purity ring," dad told me.

"Yes sir," I replied. "I want to tell everyone else too. No more hiding it."

"I have a feeling they already know and I was the only one in the dark."

I smiled. "Why do you say that?"

"Uncle Riker knows. He said he saw the way the two of you look at each other and saw you mouth I love you to Cameron by the pool at Grams and Grandad's."

We had tried to be so discrete. Cameron had told me he would wait till I was ready to come out. I was nervous about this. Once I told everyone there was no taking it back. I was also excited. It meant I could hold his hand in public and we didn't have to pretend we were just friends anymore.

"So when are you going to tell the rest of family?"

"Tomorrow at dinner. I just have to tell the adults. Is it okay if Cameron is there with me when I tell them?" I asked.

"Yeah," dad agreed.

After that mom called everyone to breakfast and the conversation came to an end. We talked about other things as everyone else sat down at the table and started to eat.