The Best Birthday Ever

Violet

I laid in my bed and thought about what I was gonna do today. I knew I couldn't spend the morning with Nick because he had a job interview. I knew though he had something else up his sleeve. I caught him having a secret talk with my parents earlier this week and they shut up when I came into the room. I didn't know what that was all about. I sighed. I hoped he wasn't trying to surprise me for my birthday or something.

There was a knock on my door and my mom came in to the room. She sat down on the bed and smiled at me. She definitely knew something I didn't. My mom and I were always close and I could read her like a book. I smiled back nervously. Why was she making me so nervous?

"I was instructed to give this to you when you woke up this morning," she said as she handed me an envelope.

I took it from her and my hand started to shake for some reason. I didn't know where the sudden nervousness was coming from and it scared me. I was never a nervous person. I could handle performing on stage but this one little envelope scared the hell out of me.

My mom left the room without saying another word. I stared at the envelope in my hand. Did she know what was in here? I ran my fingers over my name on the front of it. I wondered whose handwriting it was. From the looks of it, it belonged to a guy. Could it be Nick's maybe? I realized I had never seen him write anything. I opened the envelope and pulled out the piece of paper in it. I unfolded it and read it:

Dear Violet,

Before I met you I never believed in love or having only one girl in my life. I realize now that that wasn't living because my life actually started when I met you. I am thankful every day that you were born nineteen years ago today.

I have a day of surprises in store for you for your birthday today. All ending in a romantic date you will never forget. Hope you have a fun day. Happy birthday baby!

I love you with all my heart,

Nick

As if on cue, when I finished reading the note Ryssa, Dacia, and Caroline showed up and burst into my room. I was so confused. I think I had an idea what Nick had planned and what the secret meeting with my parents was about. I just needed to see how this day played out.

After I got ready I went to lunch with Ryssa, Dacia, and Caroline. Nick had arranged everything including a special shopping spree at my favorite store for a perfect dress for tonight. The girls still wouldn't tell me what was up even though they knew. I had an idea but I wasn't sure. This could just be a special date for my birthday but I was beginning to think there was more to it than that.

When I had found the perfect dress and shopping was over Ryssa blindfolded me. As we drove I tried to figure out where we were going. A few minutes into the drive I smelled the ocean. It was a familiar smell to me having grown up near the ocean we were always at the beach. The car came to a stop and Ryssa helped me out of the car. She walked me forward and soon I felt the sand under my feet. I knew I had been right about the smell of the ocean.

"Stop here," she said.

She removed the blindfold and Nick was standing in front of me. He was dressed nicely in a pair of slacks, a white button up shirt, and a suit jacket. He was standing in the middle of a heart drawn in the sand. As he looked at me I felt the tears in my eyes. He hadn't said anything and I was already crying. He put his hand out and I walked towards him taking his hand.

"Violet if someone had told me a year ago I'd be standing here with the love of my life I would have laughed in their face. I never thought I would find that special girl. Someone to love me for me and someone to love in return. I love you more than anything else in this world. You have shown me how to be a better person and have changed my life in so many ways. Every single one of them for the good," Nick said as he got down on one knee. "So will you marry me?"

"Yes," I said and nodded at the same time.

As he put the engagement ring on my finger the tears rolled down my face. Ryssa, Dacia and Caroline said their goodbyes and Nick and I had the romantic dinner on the beach he had planned. This would go down as the best birthday ever.