The Day I Met My Sister

Brandon

My dads were freaking out about this new chick coming to live with us. I didn't see what the big deal was. She would be like all the others they had been foster parents to and be gone in a few weeks. The one before her had been the worst. Benny had made the mistake of trusting her to watch me and Jude Connor and she ran away while he was gone leaving me to take care of my baby brother. That stunt had gotten her a one-way ticket to something called juvie, whatever the fuck that is.

I looked over at Jude Connor and he was bouncing around. He kept asking where momma was and I had no idea. His momma was my aunt Juliet. I wasn't quite sure how that shit worked out but oh well I really didn't give a fuck to be honest.

"God! Will you shut the fuck up?" I said to him.

"Fuck!" Jude Connor repeated.

I panicked for a second. I wasn't sure if he had picked that up from me or daddy. When he said it again I looked for something to keep him busy. We weren't supposed to get up from the couch while Benny and daddy spoke to the social lady. But I had to do something because Jude Connor kept repeating the word louder and louder.

I got up and snuck past Benny, daddy, the social lady and the blond girl to the kitchen. I went to Benny's secret chocolate stash and got out a chocolate bar. I knew Jude Connor loved chocolate as much as Benny. He really needed to hide it better. Once I was back in the living room I sat back down on the couch and opened the candy. It got Jude Connor off the word fuck and he now was saying chocy. Which was his word for chocolate. Anything was better than fuck, I guess. Just as Jude Connor had devoured the last of the chocolate bar, my dads came in with the blond girl.

"This is Stefanie. She is going to be staying with us for a while," Benny introduced us.

"Please call me Stef," she said.

"Rook, Benny, Juju chocy!" Jude Connor said holding up his chocolate covered hands.

I looked over at him and he had chocolate all over his face. It amazed me how he managed to wear more of his food than he ate. It was really gross if you asked me. He had no manners whatsoever. Benny looked at me and gave me the disapproving dad look. He was going to hide his chocolate stash in a different place now. I had no worries though I would find it again. It was a good way to bribe Jude Connor to do my bidding or just to shut the fuck up when he got on my nerves.

The Stef girl just walked over and picked up Jude Connor, "Let's go get you cleaned up buddy."

We all stared after her as she carried Jude Connor towards the kitchen. We could hear him giggling from the kitchen as she talked to him. A few minutes later she brought a clean Jude Connor back to the living room where my dads and I stood amazed he had taken to her so quickly. He never liked strangers. He even hated big family gatherings. One of my dads, aunt Juliet or uncle Christian usually took turns occupying him in another room. Sometimes uncle Cameron or uncle Embry would give them a break.

"Juju rike Ref," Jude Connor announced as they came into the room.

That was how Stef came into our lives. Four months later I stood in the court room with my dads and Jude Connor as they officially adopted her. That day I gained a sister but she had been my sister from the day she stepped into our house.