Becoming Ryan's Girl

Harper

"So who are you gonna ask to the winter formal?" my friend Aimee asked me as we stood by her locker.

I hadn't really thought about it to be honest. There were some possibilities. I was the kind of person to list the pros and cons of every situation before I made a decision on it. Right now I had narrowed it down to three guys. There was Kevin Jenner. He was such a momma's boy though and she was a pain in the ass. Then there was Miles West, but his dad was too obnoxious. The last person on my list was Ryan Puth. The whole thing at Cameron's party had thrown me for a loop though. Was he gay or straight? And why was he kissing Peyton Hemsworth?

"Who are you gonna ask?" I asked back as we headed to first period.

"The only person I want to ask would never go with me in a million years," she answered.

"Yeah because you're a girl!" I joked.

She had been crushing on Embry Lynch ever since she moved here at the beginning of the year. I knew the first time I met him he was gay but she was still not convinced even though he had a fiancée. She thought she could 'change him.'

"Hey Embry," Aimee said as he walked by us.

"Hey Aimee," he said and waved, just trying to be polite.

I rolled my eyes at her when she giggled. We walked into the classroom and sat down in our seats in the back. Aimee was still reeling from Embry saying hi to her and there was no talking her down. I rolled my eyes at her again and tried to concentrate on the teacher as class began. I just hoped she didn't embarrass herself and actually ask Embry to the winter formal.

By lunch time I had decided on who I was asking to the winter formal. It had not been an easy decision but I was sure I needed to find out what this person was actually into. I was going to make it my mission to see if Ryan Puth was gay or straight. I had seen him with a few girls since I had been here but I had also seen him that night at the party. He looked really into that kiss, but then again so was Peyton. Everyone knew Peyton was as straight as a ruler. Anyways Savannah had forgiven him and they were all over each other in the halls like a normal school day.

Aimee and I were sitting at our usual lunch table in the back corner when they walked in. I watched Embry, Dacia, Savannah, Peyton, Chapin, Lacey, Hailey, Austin, and Ryan. They were squad goals. Aimee was my only friend here and I had known her ever since I could remember. I was so excited when she said she was moving to LA.

I watched them all take their seats in the center of the lunchroom. They were considered the cool kids around here. Everyone wanted to hang out with them and they commanded attention when they walked in. I glanced at Aimee and took a deep breath. I got up from our table and headed to the center of the room. I could feel Aimee's eyes on me and I could hear my heartbeat faster in my chest. I focused on my goal or I would lose my nerve.

"Oh hey Harper," Embry said as I stopped at their table.

"So Ryan will you go to the winter formal with me?" I asked.

He looked up when he realized I was here to see him. He gave me a smile that made my already shaking knees weak. "Yeah, sure."

"Really?" I asked.

I couldn't believe it was that easy. He didn't hesitate to say yes. I felt like I was going to pass out. I didn't know what else to say so I turned around to go back to my table. Then he said the words every person in this school longs to hear.

"So why don't you come sit with us?"

My heart stopped for a minute and time slowed down. I looked at Aimee, who was still watching me. She put her hands up and mouthed, 'what'd he say?' Then I looked back at Ryan.