Momma's Missing Cell Phone

Chapin

The next morning I woke up with a smile on my face. Helping Montague was so much fun. I thought about what Emerson did last night and how he snatched the phone from me. I would have loved to have seen the look on his face when he realized it was momma's phone. I was smart though. I took pictures with my phone too just in case he tried to destroy one of them.

"Why are you smiling so big?" Savannah asked me from her bed.

"Just had a really good dream," I lied.

I got up from the bed with the big smile still on my face. I got dressed and went in the living room of our suite. Momma was searching for something. She was looking under everything as she turned the room upside down. There were couch cushions on the floor and things were hanging out of drawers.

"Chapin have you seen my cell phone?" she asked. "I know I put it on the night stand last night and now it's gone."

"No, momma. I didn't touch it," I lied.

I fixed the couch cushions and sat down as Emerson came into the room. He shot me a dirty look as he headed to the bathroom. I laughed to myself. He seemed mad at me. If I was him I would be mad at me too.

When he came out of the bathroom, he sat beside me on the couch. He didn't look at me. He just followed momma around the room with his eyes. I knew he was avoiding me. So I started poking him repeatedly in the arm trying to annoy him.

"Cut it out Chapin," he warned me.

"Cut what out? I don't have any scissors," I joked as I continued to poke him.

"Damn it Chapin STOP!" he yelled, getting momma's attention.

"Emerson Mark, watch your mouth!" momma raised her voice.

I stuck my tongue out at him and he flicked me on the head. "OW, momma Emerson hit me."

"Emerson! What the hell is your problem this morning?" momma asked.

He huffed and glared at me.

"Nothing," he said as he got up from the couch.

"By the way Emerson, have you seen my phone?" momma asked.

"Nope," he lied as he walked out of the room.

I wondered what he had done with momma's phone. I would have to hide my phone in a good place so Emerson doesn't find it. The question though was where do I hide it? The best place I could think of right now was in Dacia's suitcase. She was so sweet and innocent that no one would think she was involved in anything.

"Momma can we go to the waterslide today?"

I got up and started picking up the things on the floor she had left out. I was trying to be the good kid. I loved getting Emerson in trouble though. He was such an easy and gullible target. He played into my hands every time. Don't get me wrong I love my brother and I think he loves me. He may not like me very much at times though.

"Sure have Emerson take you. The two of you really need to learn to get along better," momma said.

I banged on the door of Emerson's room and then just opened it and barged in. He was laying on the bed with his hands behind his head. I picked up a shirt off the floor and threw it at him. It landed by his arm covering his hand. He didn't look at me.

"Really Chapin what if had been naked or something?" he said without looking at me.

"Momma said you have to take me to the waterslide," I said sassily.

"Why do I have to take you? I don't even like you right now!"

I whimpered and brought up fake tears. I was a master at faking crying and getting my way. "Mom..."

"Okay fine. If you'll stop the fake water works I'll take you," he said.

"Yay!" I ran off to change and hide my phone.

Ten minutes later we were headed for the waterslide. Emerson was silent. I, on the other hand, talked ninety miles a minute about nothing important. I told him all about how lame the children's area was and how they made us watch silly Disney movies. Which my whole family except for me liked. I talked about how the counselors talked to us like we were two.

"So what did you do with momma's phone?" I asked out of the blue.

"Like I'm going to tell you," he answered.

"Do you really think those are the only pictures?"

"Knowing you probably not. It's your mission in life to get me in trouble."

I spotted Montague at the bottom of the waterslide with Juliet. We walked over to them and Juliet and Emerson told us to get in line for the waterslide ourselves. They didn't want to go, but they warned us that they'd have their eyes on us at all times.

"So did you find out what he did with the phone?" Montague asked.

"No, I searched his room last night after he went to sleep and it wasn't there," I explained.

I racked my brain trying to think of anywhere I hadn't looked. Besides under the mattress he was sleeping on there wasn't really anywhere I hadn't looked. Then a thought came to me. What if Caroline had it? Were they really that smart? Smart enough for Caroline to stash the phone somewhere?