Before They Say I Do

Romeo and Bentley's house

Romeo stood in the kitchen making eggs from breakfast for Brandon. He had such a hangover that the smell was making him nauseous. Bentley came up behind him and wrapped his arms around him as he kissed his neck. How Bentley just woke up like it was a normal morning was beyond him. He hated his husband at this moment in time for not having the same killer headache he did. Bentley continued to kiss Romeo's neck and they both jumped when they heard an, "EW," from the kitchen table.

"Fuck," came from Romeo's mouth as he burnt his hand on the pan.

Bentley gave him the watch your mouth in front of Brandon look. Romeo laughed and rolled his eyes. Sometimes it was hard to remember to watch his mouth in front of Brandon. He was just so used to the word being a part of his vocabulary it just came out without him thinking about it sometimes.

"Brandon get out the milk and put it on the table," Bentley said.

"Yes, Benny," Brandon answered as he headed for the fridge to get the milk.

Romeo snickered under his breath like he did every time Brandon called Bentley Benny. Bentley hated the nickname and was jealous Romeo got to be called daddy. Even though he had adopted Brandon and they were technically both his dad now. Bentley was still Benny! He wondered if the baby would call him Benny too when it got old enough, as they sat down to eat breakfast.

Brandon accidently knocked over his milk and said, "Fuck!"

"Brandon Michael McBride-Lynch watch your mouth!" Bentley scolded him.

"But daddy says it all the time," Brandon sassed back.

"Just because I say it doesn't mean you can say it. So if I hear it come out of your mouth again you won't be able to play with Rhapsody and Moondoggie this weekend. Do you understand me?" Romeo asked.

"Yes sir," Brandon replied hanging his head.

Bentley got up to get a towel and cleaned up the milk before pouring Brandon some more. He sat back down and Brandon looked like he was in deep thought as he ate his eggs.

"What's on your mind buddy?" Romeo asked.

"Banjo's dad said he couldn't play over here anymore because God doesn't like gay people," Brandon said reluctantly. "Why don't God like gay people?"

"In this house we don't believe God hates anyone okay?" Bentley tried to explain.

"He also said I could play over there anytime I wanted so I could see what a real family is supposed to look like," Brandon stared at his eggs. "Aren't we a real family?"

"Of course we are, you, me, daddy and the baby are a real family," Bentley answered.

"I'll talk to Ruby at book club," Bentley told Romeo.

"So is it true you guys stick your penises in each other's butt?" Brandon asked.

Romeo spit his coffee all over the table. Bentley just stared at his son with his mouth open. Neither of them could find words to explain gay sex to a five-year-old.

Meanwhile at the Ratliff household...

Emerson laid in his old bedroom at his parents' house next to his wife. It was still weird for him, even though it had been five months to call Caroline his wife. She was lying on her side facing him and he reached out to touch her pregnant stomach with his hand. The baby kicked his hand and Caroline opened her eyes. She smiled at Emerson.

"She loves her daddy," Caroline said.

Emerson started kissing Caroline and it soon lead to Caroline straddling him. She pinned him to the mattress easily. She pulled his hands over his head putting all her weight on them. As she bent down to kiss him he had to meet her half way because her stomach got in the way sometimes. The shift in position made Caroline let go of his hands. Emerson sat up and as they kissed Caroline ground her hips into to him.