A Streetcar Named Desire

Riot

Being back at school and having to see Audrey every day well sucked for lack of a better word. I knew she was still talking to Fender and I wasn't. Ryssa had called me and asked what happened. She just wanted my side of the story and of course being my little sister she was on my side. She didn't really care for Audrey anyway.

As I waited back stage for Nick after his play, A Streetcar Named Desire, I thought about Fender. He had called me a few times and left apologies on my voice mail when I didn't answer. If he really was sorry he would stop seeing her. She giggled about him to her friends and I've seen her texting him in class.

"Dude you have got to get over the crazy girl," Nick said as he came up to me with his arm around a beautiful blonde.

I knew she was his costar and she would be history soon now that the play was over. He had said he liked to date his costars and dump them when the performances were over. He had been seeing her for a month now and this was the first time I had met her.

"Charlotte this is my roommate and best buddy, Riot. Riot this is Charlotte," Nick said.

"Nice to meet you Riot. That's a really cool name," Charlotte said.

"Thanks," was all I could manage to say.

This girl had me tongue tied. I didn't have much experience with girls but I had never been unable to speak to one before.

"So dude, are you coming to the cast party?" Nick asked.

When he spoke I realized I was staring a little too hard at Charlotte. I hope like hell he didn't notice. No matter if he broke up with her tonight or not she was still his girl. I knew how it felt for someone you trusted to steal your girl. I would never do that to Nick.

"Dude, why are you sitting here alone?" Nick asked me as he sat down beside me on the couch at the cast party. "There are so many hot chicks here. You still have that virgin problem to take care of."

"What makes you think I didn't sleep with Audrey?" I asked.

"I hope you didn't fuck that crazy bitch," Nick said. "Please tell me you didn't give her your v card dude."

"No I never had sex with Audrey. I was going to over Christmas break and you see how that went."

"Be glad you didn't. She would have been a whole other kind of crazy," Nick patted me on the back.

"Well she's not my problem anymore," I shrugged.

"Can I tell you something?" Nick asked.

"Sure."

"I think I really like Charlotte," Nick confessed.

Great I was crushing on this girl and he really liked her. Which meant he wasn't going to dump her anytime soon. So I'd have to see her around the room and on his arm. I liked Nick but he'd break her heart soon enough. He was a player and she wasn't the one to tame him.

"I think you need a drink," Nick announced.

"And I think you've had enough for both of us," I replied. 'I'm just gonna go. I have an early class tomorrow."

"Oh yeah, music theory with the tiny chin guitar player," Nick laughed.

"That would be the one," I answered as I headed for the door.

"Riot leaving so soon?" Charlotte asked as I was almost to the door.

"Yeah, I'm a little tired."

Which wasn't a lie exactly. I was tired but knew I wouldn't be able to sleep. I had too much on my mind lately and Charlotte was just adding to them. She reached out and touched my arm.