Six

*Ella Montgomery*

I sat in the nice restaurant across from my father at a two seated table in a far corner from others. Soft music was playing and although there were other people in the restaurant it was quiet, soft chatter in the background.

I took a small sip of my water, digging into the delicious steak my father had ordered for me. He still looked the same, groomed and proper, his grey hair slicked back perfectly, wearing his black suit.

"How is everything here, Pumpkin?," He asked, taking a swig of his Mascato white wine.

I nodded, offering a small smile, "Everything is perfect," I confirmed.

He hummed, nodding his head, raising his hand and wiggling a finger, silently calling the waiter over. He pointed to his wine glass raising a sharp eyebrow, the waiter said no more and scurried off to get him another glass.

"You graduate in May," He mentioned, "I have already started the transfer paperwork for you to take over the company," He smiled.

My smile fell but I quickly covered up the look of disappointment, giving him an uneasy smile in return. This wasn't my dream but I owed it to my father or all his hard work would drown if I didn't step up.

"That's great," I lied through my teeth, taking a large gulp from my water, "How is the company?" I asked, just as the waiter returned with his wine.

He swirled the glass, nodding at the waiter silently dismissing him. He took a sip before placing the glass down. Leaning back, he rubbed his chin giving me a subtle smile.

"Everything is running great, Pumpkin," He hummed, "I have to fly to France next month. I have a deal to make with a business partner," He added, "I am hoping to open another building in France before you take over."

I feel like at the age of twenty that I have the world on my shoulders, I really did. Other twenty year olds were living freely where as I would be taking over national companies all over the world at the age of twenty.

"I hope it goes as planned for you," I smiled, "I am happy for you."

He went to speak when the ringing of his phone went off, holding a finger up to me. He stood from his seat, exiting the restaurant as he answered the call.

I breathed a deep sigh, looking around the room before grabbing my fathers wine taking a long needed sip before I placed it back in its original spot. The bitter taste stung my tongue but calmed my heavy nerves.

After a long thirty minutes, he came back sliding his phone in his pocket.

"I have to cut this short. I have an emergency that needs my assistance," He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, "I wired you money to your account. I will see you in a couple of months."

I wasn't shocked when he left in a rush, leaving me here alone. The bill was already paid so I stood from my seat drinking the rest of his wine he had left unfinished.

Exiting the restaurant, I walked down the sidewalk hugging my arms to my chest, huffing as silent tears rolled down my cheeks. Every time it hurt but I should expect nothing less, I was used to it but it still broke me.

I hate the way he speaks to me as if I was his business partner or a potential one, like he was trying to strike a deal with me.