Twenty Four

*Ella Montgomery*

"Ms. Montgomery," Hemings cleared his throat, "All that is left for today is your signature."

"Give me the papers," I stated, grabbing the pen in front of me.

For the past hour we have sat in this conference room, listening to my father and Hemings go over the documents. I felt terrible that Artemis had to sit through this but he looked like he didn't mind, continuously just rubbing my thigh in support, to let me know he's there.

Hemings looked at my father who curtly nodded in return before Hemings passed over the documents, marked with tabs where my signature was needed.

"I had Eleanor prepare the finest meal," My father stated, "Come to my house for dinner," He mentioned.

I nodded, ecstatic that he had not made any reservations at one of his nice restaurants. I was excited to see Eleanor, it had been quite a while since I had.

Eleanor had practically helped raise me, she was my nanny but after I grew up my father still kept her around, she was now just a maid and a chef.

I took my time reading over the parts where my signature was needed, looking for any faults before giving them my initials and signing everywhere that was needed.

"Thank you for coming in, Ms. Montgomery," Hemings spoke up, collecting the papers, "Especially on such short notice. Your father and I will be gone to Italy for a month starting tomorrow," He mentioned smoothly.

I felt Artemis stiffen and his grip on my thigh tightened making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion at his reaction, glancing at him with concern.

I was upset more than anything, another business deal and another businesses flight, this time my father didn't mention it to me himself.

Snapping my head over to my father, he was looking at Hemings with narrowed eyes as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Oh, is that right?," I hummed, irritated, "What deal are you making this time, father?"

"If you'll excuse me," Hemings cleared his throat, quickly gathering his things before he left in a rush.

My father sighed, "Pumpkin, you know how this works," He spoke nonchalantly, "I met a man at a diner party in France. They have become well known in Sicily and Rome, they will be expanding their branches to France as well," He mentioned.

"They are putting shares and investing into my new business in France," He rubbed his chin, leaning back in his chair, "I will be going to Italy for a month because I decided to invest some shares in their companies there."

"Exactly who will you being doing this business with?," I inquired.

"A fine young man," He shrugged, "Achilles Vitale. He has taken over the business for the time being until his cousin, the owner, returns. It is a family run industry," He glanced at his watch, "Good man."

I hummed, leaning back in my chair not knowing how to react. Another company on my shoulder, another person to make deals with. My father was always expanding and expanding, building up his empire.

I trusted him though and most of his business partners. This would be me next year, flying across country to make deals and check in.