Twenty Eight

*Artemis Mariano*

Relief had washed over me after sharing most of the truth with her, for the first time in my life I felt nothing but relieved. I hated showing my emotions, expressing them, and most of all I hated talking about that shit, but with Ella it came almost naturally.

I knew eventually I would have had to tell her rather than her to find out on her own.

I also knew that I would have to tell her the rest of the story but that was enough for me for a day. The reason why I moved here was not pretty, I did not want her to run the second I mentioned it.

Still I was relieved, she sat and listened, and never pushed.

I cried.

Something I have not done in a long time, keeping it buried and putting on a smile for my daughter although I felt hallow. But, my god, when Ella comforted me I had never felt more complete, and I fucking cried not giving a shit that she witnessed me in a moment of weakness.

We just arrived back to my home, our flight on her father's plane was early, it was a little past lunchtime.

Ella was smiling giddily, holding the two gift bags in her small hands as she exited the car with sheer excitement. I chuckled, my chest swelling at her excitement.

Her car was here at my home, we had taken mine the day we left to go to the airport to catch her father's jet. It worked out perfectly, she expressed all morning how excited she was to see Athena and Mable.

I followed quickly behind her into the house, hearing small conversations in the living room and Athena's small voice. A smile graced my lips hearing my daughter.

Ella was quick, practically racing to the living room and I took long strides to catch up with her.

Mable sat on the couch with Athena in her lap as Athena excitedly talked about her show that was playing on the television, Mable just listening intently with a smile.

"Athena," Ella called out, both their heads snapped up in shock.

"Principessa," I smiled, kneeling down on my knees and holding my arms out, waiting for my hug.

Athena giggles as she looks at me, her eyes lighting up but to my utter dismay and sheer shock she runs straight to Ella first.

"El!," Athena squealed, Ella dropped to her knees smiling widely and sending me an apologetic glance.

I can't tell that she isn't in fact apologetic in anyway, she was eating it up as she peppered Athena's face in kisses and squeezing her small frame to her in a tight hug.

I was utterly dumbfounded by what had just happened but I couldn't stop my smile as I watched them interact.

"Am I invisible, Principessa, hm?," I drawled out sarcastically in a playful tone.

Athena giggled, shaking her head but finally released Ella and ran over to me, giving me one of her right hugs as her small arms wrapped around my neck. My fingers slid smoothly through her hair, happy to see her as I placed a kiss on the crown of her head.

Ella was now standing, talking to Mable who was smiling at the interaction and squeezing Ella's cheeks lovingly.

"I came barring a gift for you," Ella speaks up, smiling at Mable, "And before you try to deny the gift. Returns are not approved," She warned, giggling.