Thirty Two

*Ella Montgomery*

He laid on me for a while, neither of us spoke a word and just relaxed in the silence while I combed my fingers through his hair.

With a heavy sigh, he stirred, releasing me from his hold as he rolled over laying beside me on his back. He rubbed the scruff on his chin, looking deep in thought.

"My father," He gritted out, frowning, "There are things you don't know, Ella. I have a lot of dark secrets," He admitted, "I came here to bring Athena a better life, a new life, a safer life," He sighed, running his hand down his face.

I stay silent allowing him to talk, I let him open up to me at his own pace not pressuring him to continue. My hand moved, gripping his free hand that laid beside him, rubbing soothing circles on the top of his hand.

"Athena's mother was an awful person," He said gruffly, his jaw clenching, "Athena was made with a woman I had a one night stand with. She dropped Athena on my doorstep, I had no idea I had a child until she was left at my door for me at five months old," He frowned.

"She had bruises on her entire body, her clothes were worn out and stained, and she had a terrible rash from where she was left in a diaper for days," His voice strained as he continued.

My heart broke for Athena, she didn't deserve to be treated like that, no child does. Tears pricked my eyes at hearing his words.

"She was underweight for her age, dehydrated," His words void of any emotion, "At the age of one Athena was taken, kidnapped. It took me two years to find her and when I...," He stopped, clearing his throat, "When I did she was overdosing on meth. Fucking meth, a three year old," He voice sharp.

"Her mother had shot her own daughter up with meth," His eyes shut tightly, his voice broke, "Her mother was laying in another room passed out. Athena was in the hospital for three months after that, hooked on wires and tubes."

Silent tears were rolling down my cheeks and my heart dropped to my stomach. I couldn't imagine what Artemis went through in that moment or what Athena had went through.

I was in complete disbelief and disgust knowing what Athena's own mother had done.

"Her mother was sent to prison, not for long, my father had bailed her out," He chuckled humorously, "He was angry when he first found out about Athena, having a child with a whore, but even angrier that she was not a boy so that their could be the next heir to his company," His jaw clenching and unclenching.

"My father was the one who arranged for Athena to be taken, he worked with her mother to take her from me," He rasped, "He tried to have Athena killed," He admitted.

A sob escaped my lips without meaning to but it broke me to hear that. Artemis's head snapped towards me and gathered me in his arms, wiping my tears with the pad of his thumb.

"I left Italy," He continued, sighing, "My cousin Achilles took over the company while I took Athena and I into hiding," He mumbled, "We moved around. Stayed hidden. Then we came here in spring of last year," He sighed.

"Artemis," My voice broke, my lip trembling, "I am so sorry," I croaked, crying, "Everything that you and Athena endured, I couldn't imagine. You both are so strong. You both are survivors, surviving something so awful."