Thirty One

*Ella Montgomery*

No one could see the pain behind Artemis's eyes like I could, the moment he saw who was calling I instantly knew something was wrong and I felt my stomach churn with worry.

My knee was bouncing with anxiety, worried that it may be Athena, thinking the worst as I sat here with the rest of the class waiting for him to return.

I wanted to leave the class, run out of the room in search for him to know what the phone call was that had him turn pale, I was shaking in my seat.

After a long few minutes that almost felt like hours, he returned looking shaken up, his eyes distant. Something was wrong and I was worried, I couldn't concentrate on the lecture or making anymore notes, I could only concentrate on him.

He continued on with the lecture, his voice cold and his eyes remained distant. Not once did he glance my way.

My heart was dropping, worried for him, and with every passing second and every passing minute I continued to worry, overthinking the worst possibilities.

When the lecture ended, I didn't get to a chance to speak with him. He immediately gathered his papers and left, I felt my stomach churn and flutter but not in a good way, not like how I feel when I'm with him.

I sighed, gathering my things and leaving the class. He may needed a moment alone and I didn't want to upset him further or feel like I was pressuring him to talk to me.

As soon as I exited the building Scarlet stood waiting, smiling as soon as she saw me.

"We should have lunch today together, El," She suggested, walking with me to the next class.

I nodded, smiling but it didn't quite reach my eyes because my thoughts were on Artemis.

"Definitely," I sigh, "If I told you something..." I trial off, shaking my head, "Nevermind."

Scarlet gives me a wary look, analyzing my face as her eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"You can tell me anything, El," She reassures softly, "I want you to be able to talk to me about anything but I won't pressure you if your not ready," She gives me a light smile.

"Over lunch," I confirmed, knowing I should tell her, I hated keeping anything from her, "I will tell you then."

She nodded, stopping at our next class as we walk in. The only class we get to have together, not seeing her as much lately with everything that has been going on in my life and I felt like a terrible friend at this point.

We sat in our seats in the middle row, like always as we prepared for the lecture.

The professor finally walked in once the class was settled, looking over his glasses around the classroom before starting the lesson.

For two whole hours, I took notes and tried to concentrate but the fact was I couldn't really. Finally when class was dismissed, Scarlet and I packed out things and I could feel the worried gaze from her. I was nervous to tell her, but I hated hiding it, she already knew everything else about me.

"Cafe?," Scarlet asked, a hopeful gleam in her eyes.

"The cafe," I confirmed, nodding as I chuckled, "I'll meet you there?," I asked.