Ten

*Ella Montgomery*

It was thanksgiving, Artemis and Athena had made this day special for me, I haven't felt this happy in a long time.

We had spent all day lounging around Artemis's, playing games and watching television while he cooked, he wouldn't dare to allow me to help with anything.

He made sure that I didn't feel like a burden and not once did I see any amount of pity. I have not enjoyed a holiday in a very long time but today was beyond more then I could ask for - they were here and for the first time I didn't feel alone.

Athena and I were sitting on the couch watching Disney movies. She had her head laid in my lap while I smiled down at her, brushing my fingers through her hair.

Artemis was in the kitchen finishing the food he prepared for thanksgiving. My phone vibrated repeatedly in my pocket, I sighed pulling my phone out and frowning.

Father.

"I have to answer this, Athena, I'll be back," I gave her a soft smile.

She nodded, sitting up and moving her head from my lap. I quickly stood, answering the phone call and putting it to my ear as I walked up the stairs to the room I stayed in last night, closing the door.

"Ella, pumpkin," My father greeted.

I sighed, willing myself not to cry as I walked over to the window in the room staring out at the beautiful open view.

"Father," I greeted back, "How are you?," I asked, glad my voice didn't crack.

"Fine, pumpkin," He answered shortly, "I just called to let you know that I won't be seeing you next month for my visit."

There it was.

I let the silent stray tears roll down my cheeks, taking a deep breath and clearing my throat before replying.

"That's fine, I know you are busy," I replied, my throat scratchy and dry from the tears.

"Indeed," He confirmed, "I'll have your gift for Christmas delivered," He mentioned, "I also have news."

I closed my eyes for a moment, utterly upset but used to it. He was never here, never really was.

"What's the news, father?," I asked, crying silently, trying to take deep breaths.

"Ah, yes," He started, "I have found you an eligible suitor," He was beaming, "He is my business partner's son. He agreed to have your hand in marriage."

I stilled, my mind racing and I felt nothing but pure anger surge through me. I tried to calm my breathing, taking deep breaths. I was crying, placing my free hand on my mouth to cover my sobs.

"No, absolutely not," My voice strained, "I am not marrying him. I do not want a loveless marriage, father."

"Ella Rose Montgomery," He warned.

"No, father, no," I exclaimed, "You say life is always a deal," I commented, "So let us make a deal."

He stayed silent for a moment, thinking it over and I was shaking with anxiety, biting my lip to hold in my sobs as I closed my eyes tightly not allowing another tear to fall.