Ch: 13 // Ep: 5

----

"Are you sure we aren't going to be arrested?" Olivia asks, looking around nervously. She sits next to JJ in the ambulance, waiting for a John B to complete his part of the plan.

"I mean it's not like that hasn't happened before," He jokes, making her remember the day they both got arrested, JJ for vandalism and Liv for assaulting an officer.

A siren chirps from behind and they see a police car pull up alongside them. Olivia lets out a ragged breath as the officer rolls down his window.

"I hate when it's slow like this, you know?" He says and the pair sigh in relief that they hadn't been caught.

"Tell me about it, man," JJ says, talking in a low voice.

"Hey, what happened to Ricky?" The older man asks, "He bang out?"

JJ lets out a loud breath, "Something like that."

"Who are you?" He nods to the girl at the back.

"Trainee," Liv waves from behind JJ but before they could say anything else, the radio goes off and a woman's voice echoes through.

"You wanna take it?" JJ says, "You need the practise." 

This earns the boy a glare. "Uh, yeah, ten-four. I'll be right there," She stutters, trying to come up with something, "Thank you so much. Over."

JJ gives her a look before turning around and saying, "Duty calls. I'll see you later, officer. Uh, you have a good night though, okay?"

"Hold up," The officer stops them, "I got nothing to do. I'll pace you." JJ freezes before following the officer in the ambulance.

"Ten-four?" He laughs.

"Shut up."

----

"All right! Load him up," JJ exclaims, leaning out the side of the vehicle.

"You gonna get your patient here?" The woman shouts.

"Yeah," JJ nods, "Right on. Yeah, I'm gonna get my patient."

"Am I gonna get my patient?" JJ scoffs, getting out the ambulance, "Of course I am going to get my patient."

"Where's Rickey?" The nurse asks.

"Ricky? Uh, food poisoning," JJ makes up on the spot, "You know Ming Dynasty off of the highway 25? Them egg rolls, dude. They'll get ya."

"Uh, so where's the patient at?" Liv asks, changing the subject.

"Patient fell out. No LOC, but he's orthostatic," She tells them, "Stage 4 lymphoma. He's been in and out of chemo for the last three months." Liv's heart drops, elbowing JJ in the stomach and pointing to the older patient in the wheel chair.

"Uh is that the only patient tonight, ma'am?" JJ asks.

"Why? You wanna take more than one tonight?" She laughs.

"He means he would if he had to. That's what he's trying to say!" Liv exclaims, elbowing him in the stomach again.

"Can you stop that?" He hisses, holding his stomach then shouts, "I was just thinking I was called in because my patient has appendicitis. No, okay?"

"This is our only patient," The nurse tilts her head to the side.

"Right."

"Where did you say you two worked?"

"Dare county, ma'am," He smiles, turning around, "And she is a trainee right now, but not for long, right?" He laughs, voice cracking a bit.

"I worked over there. Never seen you."

"Well, that's cause I just moved up the ranks so fast," He answers, "Look, I would love to sit and chat, but we gotta get moving, all right?"

As JJ begins to open the back of the ambulance, the patient mumbles, "JJ, is that you?"

JJ freezes, turning around before saying, "He's delusional as shit." He goes back to opening the door but struggles to unlock it. "We just got different rigs up in New Barn."

He finally opens in and they all help the patient into the back as the nurse asks, "Where's your partner?"

"Right here," He grabs Liv's shoulder.

"She's a trainee so she can't work on the patient without someone watching over her."

"Of course," He laughs, "Well, they told me that the officer could drive."

"No," The officer shakes his head, "he's an inmate. I gotta be in the back."

"Wait hold on, you're saying that you're gonna be responsible for me not taking care of my patient. Is that what you're telling me? Because look at him, he's week, fable and pale and shit. And I gotta do medical stuff on him or else we're gonna lose him, okay?" As his speech ends, JJ and Liv jump into the back and throw the officer the keys. Hesitantly, the older man walks around and starts up the vehicle.

----

"We have back up on the way," The officer's radio blares out, "Do you copy?"

"I read. Ten-four."

JJ clears his throat before calling out, "Officer, everything good up there?" The man looks back and closes the glass slide. Liv runs to the door, pulling and tugging on it. But it was no use. A cop cars appears, following them from behind.

"Give me your phone," JJ orders, and takes the phone out of her back pocket. He puts in her pass code and mutters, "Come on, Kie. I need a miracle." A few more cops cars tag along and Liv's heart begins to race.

"No, no, no, no," She cries, breaths shortening.

"Shit!" JJ screams.

Liv leans on the ambulance, running her back down until she is sitting on the floor. She has her head in her hands, struggling to catch her breath. The ambulance halts to a stop, sending the pair flying.

"Sorry, I'm so sorry," Liv's head shoots up as she hears her girlfriends voice. JJ pushes the side door open and they both jump out. Liv looks back as she runs across the park. Sending Kie a smile, she turns back, continuing to follow JJ.

Once seeing the familiar car in the distance, Olivia sprints towards it, climbing in after the blonde boy.

"I'm seriously not even going to ask," Kiara exclaims.

"Look we busted the wrong guys out of jail," JJ says, "Sue me."

Kiara looks back at the blonde pair with a confused look before shrieking, "What?"

"At least we were trying."

"Why are you two always doing such stupid shit?"

"Well, I'm gonna end up in jail anyway so... so why does it matter?" JJ shrugs, voice cracking in sadness.

"You okay?" Pope asks.

"Yeah... Just a doozy of a day." JJ rests his head back against the car seat.

----