Ch: 28 // Ep: 10

----

"I used the scuba gear on the dreathers," Ward explains. Liv and Sarah sat across from him. Liv was unable to look at the man she once called her father, unable to look him in the eye after she had mourned him. So she stared out the window and the endless amount of sea surrounding them

"I had it all set up in advance... timed to the second. It was touch and go getting off. I almost didn't make it," He laughs slightly as Rafe enters the room. Liv feels her sister shift awkwardly in her seat and Liv spins in her seat and notices Rafe in the corner of the room. Feeling unsafe, she turns around, resting her pack against the seat and glaring at the boy.

"Girls, what I need you to understand more than anything is that I never imagined that you two would be there," He mutters, almost ashamed, "I wanted to call you immediately to tell you i was okay, to explain it all. It broke my heart that I couldn't. But I had to make sure Rafe got away."

"Thank you, Dad," Rafe says, "At least one of us is grateful."

"Grateful," Liv scoffs, leaning back and crossing her arms.

"That's psychopathic, both of you!" Sarah exclaims.

 "I promised Rafe he wouldn't go to prison for helping me. I had to make good on that promise."

"Not that you care," Rafe mutters at the two girls.

"Did it look like I didn't care when I thought Dad was dead?" Sarah retorts.

"It looked like you cared about running off with some asshole!"

"It looked like all you cared about was the inheritance!"

"Yes, you cared!" Ward interrupts, "You cared! That's the point!"

Liv stays silent the whole time, never once looking up from the table.

"Anybody on that dock could see that you cared, sweetheart," Ward cries, eyes only at Sarah, "And I know you are angry and rightfully so. The important thing is that it's all behind us now. It is. We're gonna live a new life, all of us together. Sarah, where I'm taking you, it's paradise."

Liv isn't even shocked that he was only talking to Sarah, I mean, she was used to it by now. But she would be lying if she said it didn't hurt, because it hurt more than anyone could ever know. So instead of listening to him, she zones out, like always.

"What are you talking about?" Sarah shrieks, earning back Liv's attention.

"When you were getting ready, John B came by the house and Rose talked to him. You know the cross you've all been looking for?" Ward asks, standing up, "Rafe was able to get it. Turns out, historically, it belongs to the Heywards."

"Yeah, I know."

"It also turns out the most important thing to me is you."

Rafe and Liv's eyes meet briefly and she watches as his eyes soften. For the first time ever, the pair understand each other. They both know what it's like to live in someone else's shadow, Sarah's shadow.

"So I gave him the cross," Ward finishes, "For you."

"And John B was okay with that?" Sarah laughs, not believing him.

"Well, um," Ward sits down, "I had just given him a half-a-million artifact, so, yeah, he seemed pretty okay. Look, I don't know what to tell you. He's a pogue."

Liv scoffs, finally speaking up, "And I'm not?"

"No, sweetheart, you're not."

"What?" She laughs, "So I don't reach your requirement for being a pogue? Let's see what my life's been like for the past three years," Liv holds up her hand and begins to count on them, "Lived with no money, no food, hell, even no home. For over three fucking years, I've had to work my ass off to help Big John keep the lights on and put food on the table! I am pogue and it's your fault."

The room goes quiet. Sarah looks up at her with pity, Ward with shock and Rafe with a small grin plastered onto his face. 

"Honey, I'm so-" Ward starts but Liv shakes her head.

"You're sorry," She finishes, sitting down, "Yeah, yeah, I know."

"Rose, wheezie, come in!" Ward calls out and they walk in. Rose smiles at her husband, wrapping her arms around him. Wheezie jumps into the seat next to Sarah, smiling wide.

"Sarah, Liv, guess what! We are going to our own private island, isn't that awesome?"

After the two girls don't respond, Ward quickly tells her, "They're not feeling rather well, sweatheart. But they will be. We are all going to be feeling pretty good soon, huh?"

----

"Do you guys wanna play War?" Wheezie asks. Liv's eyes were closed, head leaning onto the table.

"You got cards?" Sarah's head perks up.

"Mhm," Wheezie grins.

"Yeah," Sarah answers with a shrug.

"Ill go grab them!" The young girl jumps out her seat and out of the room, leaving the door slightly ajar. Sarah elbows her sister many times and when the girl finally looks up, Sarah points towards the door and they both share a cunning look. 

Liv puts her head back into her hands and Sarah gets up. Sarah pretends to feel dizzy, falling to the side.

"Oh, Sarah!" Rose exclaims, "What's wrong, sweetie?"

"I just think I'm gonna be seasick," Sarah cries.

"Oh, I have just the thing," Rose tells her getting up from her seat.

"Meds?" Sarah scoffs.

"Sarah, seriously," Rose sighs, "That was for your own good and you know it killed me to that."

"I was just gonna ask for nondrowsy," Sarah shrugs.

"We're all together. Chill, Sarah. This is a good thing," Rose tells her before walking into the other room. Liv's head pops up from the table and the two exit the room.

"Quickly, come on," Liv hisses, pulling her sister down the thin corridor.

"Wait, hold up," Sarah stops and they both look down. To their surprise, the cross was in an open wooden box below them.

"I knew he was lying!" Liv cheers and Sarah shushes her.

"Okay, lets go."

The pair travel to the outside of the ship and run up to the bridge. Sarah peers inside.

"Okay, I have a plan. It's a stupid one but it's a plan," Sarah bends down out of sight.

"Well, like a fellow friend always says," Liv grins, "'Stupid things have good outcomes all the time'"

----