Ch: 15 // Ep: 6

----

"Guys, the thing that Limbery said, I don't she meant to let it slip," Pope calls out from the back of the twinkie, breaking the silence, "She said the key leads to the Cross of Santo Domingo."

"Wait, can i see that?" JJ asks, holding out his hand. Pope hands him the key as Sarah says, "Are we supposed to know what that is?"

"I'm guessing it's some sort of historical artifact of great importance," Pope shrugs and JJ passes it to John B.

"Well according to the interwebs, it was a gift," Kie tells them "from New Spain to the Spanish king."

"New Spain? Is there an old spain?" JJ asks.

"Shit, talk about over-gifting," Kie scoffs, ignoring the clueless boy. Liv grabs the key out of John B hand, examining it before giving it back to Pope. She gazes over Kiara's shoulder to look at the cross and her mouth falls open.

"So it's a giant-ass cross?" Liv says.

"It was widely considered at the time to be the most extravagant tribute ever from the provinces. It was lost off the cost of Bermuda in 1829."

"Like the triangle?" Both Liv and JJ say at the same time.

"Oh, no. Not the triangle," John B shakes his head at the pair.

"It always leads back to the triangle, dude!" JJ exclaims, "Like every single time something's weird, it's Bermuda."

"What does a key found above your mee-maw's pharmacy have to do with any of this?" Liv asks, staring at the boy opposite her.

"Where do we come in?" Kie adds.

"I don't know," Pope answers, "That's a good question."

A few minutes later, they finally arrive at Care Home and JJ makes his way around the van to let the rest of the pogues out. Olivia stretches her foot out of the van but pauses when Pope says, "Hey, actually, I think I'm going to do this one by myself."

"Are you sure?" JJ asks.

"Yeah, I can handle it," Pope says, a cold tone evident, "I don't really need you."

"Oh we're just all one big happy family today, aren't we?" Liv scoffs, getting back into the van. 

----

"So Rafe actually tried to drown you?" Liv asks, drinking some of her slush puppy. They stood outside a store, trying to waste the time until they were needed.

"Yep," Sarah nods, leaning back against the large window in the shop, "I swear to god, he's gone crazy."

"This whole summer has been crazy," Kie sighs.

"Mhm," Liv mumbles and her eyes scan the surroundings and meet John B's. His face stares back at her in guilt and it only took a few seconds for him to turn away.

"And that scene on the boat..." Liv starts, letting out a ragged breath.

"I know, I know," Sarah sighs, looking down ashamed, "But what was I meant to do? Of course I had to thank Topper, I mean, he saved my life. And I'd put him through so much already and you'd think that that is the crime of the century... It's just all so complicated."

----

They pull up along the side of the road, patiently waiting for Pope to walk out the door. When he finally does, he silently jumps into the van, sighing loudly. 

"So how'd it go?" John B asks, turning around in his seat.

"Shit just got way more personal."

----