Ch: 20 // Ep: 7

----

"I've had more black eyes in the last month than I've ever had," Pope laughs.

"That was building up for years. Rumble in the jungle," JJ says and yelps as he burns himself in the fire which Liv laugh and throw a marshmallow at him.

"Hey, did you really stick up for Sarah?" John B asks the two girls, in a hushed voice.

"Of course we did," Kiara shrugs, "She's not a real Kook."

"Right," John B nods, "Yeah, tell that to Topper... I just want one bite of that." John B leans over towards the blonde girl's hand and reaches out for her food. Liv looks up at him, giving him a look of warning. But he grabs her food anyway, shoving it into his mouth.

"Did you really just do that?" Liv asks, mouth wide open.

"Hell yeah I did," John B grins, with his mouth full of food.

Without any warning, Liv tackles the boy off his seat and onto the floor. "I spent the last of my money on that!" Liv exclaims, jumping up and sitting back down on the log.

"Sixteen years in most federal prisons," John B murmurs.

"I'm stealing your marshmallow," Kie says. Liv blows her a kiss as a thanks.

"I believe that's a... not even fair trade," Pope laughs.

"It's not. At all," Liv agrees, still mad about John B taking her food. 

"Hey, hey," John B shushes them, tapping Kiara on the back, "Somebody's here."

"You don't think that Topper would..." Kiara starts but her voice trails off.

"I wouldn't put it past him," JJ says.

"Do you have your gun?"

"Oh now she wants the gun!" JJ exclaims.

"Oh now you don't have the gun!" Kiara shouts back.

"No."

"Isn't that your 'secret' weapon?" 

"Shut up," Liv whispers back, walking towards the sound cautiously.

"Hey, who's out there?" John b shouts.

"You kooks better not try anything!" Kiara adds. 

"Who's there?"

A familiar man walks out from the bushes arms raised. His face was contorted in a grin. "How y'all doing?"

"It's this piece of shit," Liv says, sighing with an annoyed tone.

"Lovely evening we're having!" Renfield calls out, "Look I don't hold a grudge with any of y'all, all right? But this can go hard or this can go easy. You know what I'm here for! Let me give you a little demonstration. You see that swing?" Olivia turns around to look at the swing directly behind her. "I got the best bow hunters in the army rangers with me."

He whistles an arrow slices through the air, grazing Liv's head. One of the ropes holding up the swing falls down to the floor and Liv jumps back in fright, falling into John B.

"Now they're out there. They'll stick you just as soon as I say so." Renifield stalks closer to Pope and JJ follows him, stick raised but is stopped when another arrow lands near his feet.

"Uh, uh, uh. We clear?" He grins at JJ, "Now, I'm not gonna give you a countdown or any bullshit like that. I'm just gonna whistle." Pope's eyes travel from pogue to pogue before reaching into his pocket and taking out the key. He begins to hand it to him but closes his fist swiftly with a whisper, "No."

"Oh?"

"This key belongs to my family," Pope growls and Liv's mouth rises up into a smile.

"I'm losing patience with you, Pope," He brings up his fingers, starting to whistle but in the end, Pope gives him the key.

"Did the right thing kid," Renfield says, "Knowing when you don't have a choice is an underappreciated talent." Liv rolls her eyes, feeling defeated as she watches Renfield place his hand on Pope's shoulder. "You be safe." The pogues stay silent as Renfield walks away.

"I'm so sick of this shit," Pope cries, shaking his head and walking off.

----

Liv exits the Chateau, stumbling with a beer placed in her hand. After everyone had dispersed, Liv couldn't bear to sit and wallow in pity so she turned to the only thing that could make the situation any better. Drinking.

She notices Pope in one of the hammocks. His shoulders were shaking and Liv was sure she could hear small sobs coming from him. Her heart breaks and she slowly makes her way towards him but as soon as the boy notices her, he wipes his tears away.

"Hey, Pope," Liv smiles softly. Pope tries his best to return the gesture but fails so he moves up, making space for the girl and she lays beside him.

"Don't beat yourself up," Liv mumbles, laying her head on his shoulder, putting her hands around his waist, "You did the right thing."

"I know," Pope sighs, "I mean I would trade all of my family heirlooms for you guys."

"Oh I feel honoured," Liv chuckles.

"But this doesn't feel right. And I tried so hard to find any way to keep the key but I failed."

"That's just how it goes," Liv shrugs, "There are only so many battles we can win."

"I know, I know. I just feel helpless."

"But at least now we have nothing to worry about. No treasure hunt. No friends in jail. No one trying to kill us."

"You're right," He sighs and stays silent for a few minutes before starting to say, "Thank yo-"

A snore interrupts him and he looks down at the girl whose mouth was open, fast asleep. With a grin, he rests his eyes.

----

"Well, hello princess," John B glares, watching the blonde girl enter the house.

Liv's head rises up from the pillow on the floor as she exclaims, "Sarah!". She places a hand on her head in pain, probably hungover from yesterday.

"What's up?" Kie mumbles, the beanie still covering her eyes.

"Shouldn't you be on Figure Eight with your little group of polo players? Or did you break up with Topper?" John B says, earning a pillow in the face from Liv.

"Stop being such a dick," She groans, laying back down on the floor.

"We're just friends," Sarah smiles sarcastically.

"He's just a friend? You have a lot of friends, Sarah Cameron."

"Yeah and it seems like you've got some of your own too," She retorts.

"Alright, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here for Pope." She turns away to look at Pope, "I think I found the island room."

----