i

~ D e s m o n d ~

My eyes cautiously skimmed through my surroundings, but my stance never gave away my identity.

The worst part of being a king is the undercover missions that had to be done for the sake of the kingdom, but this time, it was different.

In addition to that, commoners do not respect you once you slip off the royal attire and crown. Plus, I had a cloth mask on.

Right now, I was informed about a traitor who was most probably in Serandale and in this particular street market.

I could've easily handed this job to any other royal guard, but this case was a little too personal for me.

"Did you notice something peculiar?" I asked the guard who accompanied me.

I was no fool to roam inside another kingdom without taking any precautions.

"No, Your Highness," He whispered in a low voice, "I'm afraid the informant was lying."

I rubbed my head in frustration, "That can't be possible. Let's take a break now, I'm starving."

We headed to the nearest bakery to refresh ourselves and then resume our search.

Our footsteps halted when we heard a commotion in the bakery.

"You little thief! Come here!" The man whom I assume was the owner of the bakery shouted and caught hold of a young boy who clutched a packet of bun towards his chest as if he could evaporate from the scene by doing so.

My companion started to intervene, but I held him back. This was neither our kingdom nor our business.

The shop owner muttered a few more unpleasant slurs, and the poor kid looked so traumatized.

"Let's go." I announced, "I've lost my appetite."

I turned towards the exit door, but at that moment, a voice stopped me from leaving.

"Let go off the boy."

I turned around to seek the owner of the voice and found a girl with a small frame who had a scarf covering her head.

"Interesting," I couldn't help but smile.

"And who are you, lady?" The shop owner seethed at her rudely.

I crossed my arms across my chest and watched this amusing scene unfold in front of my eyes.

"That doesn't matter. Let the kid go, I'll pay for him."

Wow. I tilted my head, getting more and more intrigued.

I moved closer to them, and my guard followed me. Her face was still not very clear because of the scarf, which made me disappointed.

"Do you have money?" The owner asked her with skepticism.

She shook her head, "No."

He laughed, "Did you take me for a fool, you stupid girl?"

Her hands traveled to her neck, and she unclasped her beady necklace, forwarding it to the man.

The man eyed the jewelry with suspicion before examining it with his own hands, "Fine, this thing definitely looks more valuable than the buns. So I'll let the brat go."

She kneeled before the kid who looked weak and filthy. She took a handkerchief from the pocket of her floral dress and wiped the dirt off the boy's face.

My eyes widened when I realised that her handkerchief had royal embroidery on it.

She was a royal.

"Gather information about her. She's an elite person from the palace." I ordered my guard, and he nodded as he must've also noticed the handkerchief.

My eyes never left her even when she left the bakery with the boy.

Somebody had caught my attention.