xvi

~ Z a y n a h ~

"How do you feel?" Desmond asked, taking my hand in his as we walked along a beautiful river.

We were dressed as common people to keep our disguise and also to fulfill my wish.

Desmond was so unpredictable.

"It feels good," I answered without taking my eyes off the sparkling river that flowed beside us.

"I'm glad," He lifted my hand and placed a kiss on it.

Anyone watching us would misunderstand us for a beautiful and lovely couple, but the reality was far from it. Nothing about our cursed relationship was normal.

We walked up to the wooden bridge that looked rather unreliable and weak. Halfway through the bridge, he stopped and peered down at the river water beneath us.

"What happened?" I asked about his abrupt halt.

"Let's get in the water." He dragged me and crossed the bridge.

For a moment, I thought he was going to make me jump from the bridge to get in the water, but that wasn't the case, thankfully.

We stood before the river now, and we removed our shoes, and he folded the bottom of his trousers while my dress reached just below my knee, so it was fine.

He held my hand again and flashed me a smile, "Ready?"

I smiled back, keeping my façade, "Yes."

We slowly stepped into the water. The cold water hitting our skin rapidly made me shiver, but it felt nice. I had a taste of freedom and joy. I closed my eyes and savored the moment.

Even if I wasn't taken away by Desmond, I still couldn't have gotten the chance to enjoy a moment in a local river like this while the weight of the crown rested on my head.

Have I neglected my people for so long?

I didn't dare to ask him about the welfare of my kingdom, not wanting to risk my ultimate intention. I should ask Laevinn someday.

Water was splashed into my face, bringing me back to the bitterweet reality.

I wiped my face and couldn't help but laugh at his antics. He was so childish sometimes. His eyes lit up like a kid who had seen snow for the first time.

Speaking about snow, winter was arriving soon. I had to be free by then. I wanted to. I loved the snow, and I didn't want to be bound to him during my favorite season.

"What are you thinking about Snowflake?"

Snowflake.

I don't think the winter was going to be the same for me anymore.

"Nothing," I splashed some water to him to switch the topic.

He ran a hand through his wet hair and laughed, "Didn't expect that from you."

I shrugged, "Well expect the unexpected."

He strode closer to me. I tried my best not to cower away. I couldn't risk anything.

He removed a few wet strands from my face and watched me like I was his most prized possession. Yeah, a possession.

"You're so beautiful," His eyes looked the lightest shade of brown as the sun's rays struck him.

If he were a normal human, then his words would've been flattering. His appearance would've been endearing. His touch would've been comforting.

Desmond was neither normal nor human.

I was glad that I was lost in my thoughts when he closed the distance between us because I didn't want to be fully conscious while he unveiled some unpleasant memories.