xxxix

~ D e s m o n d ~

"Your Highness!"

I jolted awake from my light slumber.

"What happened?" I asked the guard who rushed into my room, which I did not lock for emergencies. Like this.

"We are being attacked!"

I did not waste another moment and drew my sword that was underneath my pillow.

"Who?" We began to walk quickly.

"We don't know yet, but the attack was sudden and uncalled for."

"Are the people safe?"

"Your Highness, their target is not the people but you."

My heart skipped a beat.

All of a sudden, I was afraid.

Afraid to die.

Afraid to leave her behind.

My heart clenched, knowing that I was becoming a weak king, but it hurt more when I realized that I might die tonight and never see her again.

That possibility scared me.

For once, I was scared of death.

Gripping the sword with more determination, I paced off towards my enemy, who stood between me and my wife.

When I exited our chamber, the place was already a battlefield.

Men of different clans were fighting with each other without any personal grudges.

I've always found wars to be heartbreaking.

Many warriors fought with their enemies without any prior hate towards them. They just do it because it's their duty, and that makes them hold a sense of responsibility towards their kingdom. Nothing personal about it.

Even as I watched the scene before me, it hurt as much. Many soldiers perished and lost their lives for no good reason.

I shook my head out of such thoughts. A king should be strong and on guard at all times. Being vulnerable was not suitable for a circumstance like this.

Lifting my sword in the air, I made a promise to myself.

I will die, but not today.