xxii

~ D e s m o n d ~

"Where is she?" I asked through clenched teeth.

"Your Highness, h-he captured her." Arvin trembled before me.

"Who?" My heart was beating insanely, and I could feel the hot blood rushing through my veins.

"King Icarus." He responded, still shivering.

No no no.

I held my head between my hands.

This can't be happening.

"It's my fault, it's all my fault," I roamed around the room, "I shouldn't have allowed to go out. I'm such an idiot."

"H-he told that, he'll kill the Queen if you go to his kingdom."

It felt like a sharp sword was plunged into my heart, and before I noticed, tears started to form in my eyes.

"You were one of my best guards, then how?" My voice was strangely feeble.

"I was attacked suddenly, and there were two of them." He kneeled on the floor, "Forgive me King, I'm not worthy anymore."

I sighed. Arvin had got so many promotions at such a young age that he didn't deserve to feel unworthy like this.

He reminded me of Laevinn; calm but very powerful. That's why I had given him special treatment for the past years.

"Get up, Arvin. A soldier shouldn't lose his dignity."

He reluctantly stood up but still refused to meet my eyes.

It was not completely his fault. Everything that happened was an unfortunate twist of events.

My Snowflake.

How was she doing?

Will he hurt her?

Icarus was an infamous ruthless king known for his cheap tactics and womanizing character.

When I sent an invitation to him, all I wanted was to make our bitter relationship a little better. I wanted to form a friendly bond with every kingdom so that we had no potential rivals - so that my wife would be safe.

My heart ached for her.

"I will save her." I nodded with determination, "Icarus will pay for this."

I'll have to come up with a plan so that she will not be hurt at all.

What if he really acts upon his threat and hurts her while I recklessly barge into his kingdom?

I'll have to think with a calm mind.

A knock disturbed my state.

Laevinn entered the room, and Arvin excused himself, leaving the room.

"Is it true?" He asked me with a nervous demeanor.

I nodded and clenched my fist.

Every time I closed my eyes, her images captured my mind, and none of it looked joyful.

"Who?"

"Icarus Ryomen."

He paced around just like me, "This is bad. He'll torture her."

I refused to believe that. I didn't want to.

"He won't." I shook my head in stubbornness.

He glared at me, surprising me, "Anyway, what difference does it make? She suffered here, and now she'll suffer in his hands."

"Watch your words, Laevinn." I took a deep breath.

My wife was happy. Why would she be upset? I gave her everything she would need. I took care of her parents as well. She was going to wear the crown too the why would she suffer here?

"Why? Aren't I right? You captured her, and now he did the same. What makes you so different from him?" He gave me a challenging look.

"Stop that." I held my paining head, which hurt even more with his cruel words, "I'm nothing like that prick. Don't ever compare me with him!"

"Nothing changes the reality, Desmond." He shook his head in disappointment, "Anyway, just get her back, okay? Because her parents are here."

He cared a little too much for my liking.

"Don't love her, my brother." I said, "You can't ever have her."

"I know," He stormed out of the room.

No one can have her except for me.

Neither Laevinn Laxoire nor Icarus Ryomen.