xiii

~ Z a y n a h ~

Life is so unpredictable.

Just two weeks ago, I was successfully ruling my kingdom, winning the hearts of my people and making my parents proud.

Now, what has my life become. I lost everything.

My kingdom. My reign. My freedom. My family. Myself.

How did I end up this way?

One last lone tear dropped to the pillow. I hadn't slept last night, and I was not sure if I could sleep peacefully anymore. But he was still asleep.

Laying on the bed just made me feel more miserable so I finally mustered up the energy to get up and walk towards the bathroom after quickly slipping on my half torn gown and carrying a new set of clothes.

I dropped down on the bathtub and ran cold water to make me feel something. Anything.

I tried to wash away all my tainted memories and unwanted touches. After an hour, I got dressed, and my eyes fell on the mirror, taking in my form.

I couldn't recognise the girl in front of me. She didn't look fierce and powerful anymore. Her eyes didn't hold the liveliness anymore.

I exited out of the bathroom and walked out of the room. I was permitted to more freedom than before now that I was his wife - his Queen. How ironic.

I walked mindlessly through the hallway without any particular destination in mind. All I knew was that I had to get away from him.

It was then I noticed that Desmond's brother Laevinn was coming my way. I was not in the mood to face anybody.

"Good morning, Zaynah." His tone was formal, but his eyes weren't.

My name was feeling so foreign for myself as no one had called me by my name after arriving here.

I muttered a greeting in response and continued to walk, avoiding a conversation.

"Just give me a moment, please." He stood in front of me, blocking my way.

My eyebrows scrunched in confusion, "What is it?"

He lowered his gaze to the ground and refused to meet my eyes, "Did he - did he consummate the marriage?"

My eyes started to water at his question, and maybe he got his answer then.

His eyes widened, "I-I don't know what to say. It's so terrible." He fumbled with words.

I wiped away my tears, "I'll take my leave now."

"No, wait!" He didn't let me walk away again.

He looked in all directions as if confirming that no one was around, "If you ever want to escape this place, winning his trust is the only way. Once you achieve that big step, I promise you to let you safely out of this palace. I promise you."

My ears couldn't believe what I had just heard. His own brother will help me to escape?

"Why would you?" My voice was mixed with skepticism and perplexity.

"Because," He looked into my eyes, "because you don't deserve this."

I wanted to believe him. I wanted to lean on to the false hope that I had a better life ahead of me, but it seemed too unrealistic.

"Once you gain his trust, you'll win. He's a person who doesn't believe someone easily, but once he does, he becomes completely blind and easy to manipulate. Just be careful and play your cards, right? Don't lose hope." His words calmed me to some extent.

I was still scared. What if it takes too long? What if I can't endure my misery till then? Will I give up? Will I let his darkness consume me?

"You can do this, Zaynah." Laevinn gave one last reassuring smile and then left.

I leaned against the wall and slowly slid to the floor, hugging my legs closer to me.

My life was going to change from this moment. I had to win. For my parents. For my kingdom. For me.

With newfound hope, I stood up and walked towards his room. I had to be subtle and slow.

I knocked on the door but he didn't answer so I entered the room anyway.

"Good morning, Snowflake!" He chirped and dried his wet hair even though he was fully clothed.

"Good morning," I greeted back but not with much enthusiasm because I didn't want him to see through my plan.

He strode closer to me and wrapped his arms around me, leaving a kiss on my neck, unlocking a cursed shred of memory.

"I missed you," He sounded so vulnerable, but I wasn't fazed, "Don't leave me like this."

I just hummed as a response and patted his shoulders after collecting every piece of courage in me.

He visibly stiffened at that, but he just held me tighter in the next moment.

This was going to be a lot more difficult than I thought...