ii

~ D e s m o n d ~

"Serandale's Queen?"

"Yes, Your Highness." My guard informed me, "The Queen has taken the crown at a very young age. Her tales of wisdom and bravery are not unknown to her people, and she's very loved by them."

"Hmm," I rubbed my chin as I sat on the throne, "Anything about her private life?"

"Your Highness, her life seems transparent, and it looks like she was only keen towards the matters relating to her kingdom. She's also friendly with other kingdoms, but she tends to create minor disputes when she constantly turns down the proposals of both suitors and kings."

Oh.

"Why do you think she was dressed like a commoner that day?" I enquired him to confirm my suspicion.

"It must've been an undercover mission like ours, or the Queen would've wanted to know the wellbeing of her subjects."

"Hm, thought so." I smiled, and the next words that left my mouth were out of my control, "Send her a proposal letter mentioning that the King of Laxoire wants to marry her."

"What?!" Laevinn barged into the scene.

My younger brother made his uninvited entry.

"Eavesdropping is a bad habit, brother." I tsked.

"You're gonna marry her?" He asked in disbelief.

"Yes, why not?"

"No, that can't happen." He looked confused.

What was wrong with him?

"She is," He ran a hand through his hair, making it disheveled, "She won't accept it."

"Hm, that's a risk I'm willing to take, Laevinn." I pulled my eyebrows together, "But why are you concerned about this? Do you know her personally?"

"I haven't met her before but I've heard about her. She's an intelligent ruler and way out your reach." He smirked at me.

"Oh, that's what you think, little brother?" I raised my brow with a confident gesture.

His tone faltered now, "She won't willingly marry you."

"And why is that? From what I know, my people love me because they only see what I show them. I have earned immense respect from other kingdoms as well. I seem like a normal and diligent ruler. Only my family and a few palace workers know who I really am, and you all won't rat me out, right?"

"Oh brother, don't worry, we won't pull down your veil and show your nasty behavior to the world, but time will," He angrily stomped away after that.

Huh, looks like someone's having a bad day.

*.
*

Days had passed after that little encounter with my brother.

The messenger had conveyed my proposal that very day itself. I couldn't be there in person because I had other duties to fulfill as a ruler.

This morning, I received a fresh message from none other than the queen of Serendale.

"She rejected the proposal?" I asked even though I saw it coming.

She was famous for doing it. Why would I be special? But I will be once we meet...

"Yes, Your Highness."

I felt bad. I had to execute my alternate plan, which I didn't want to put in action.

Serandale was such a fruitful and cheery kingdom that lived in peace and harmony, but it won't be the same anymore if I go feral.

Which I was going to...

"I guess the people of Serandale should be ready to be a sub unit of Laxoire because I'm gonna capture it first thing tomorrow." I stood up from the throne.

"Are you going to start a war, my Lord?" The messenger visibly shivered.

I chuckled, "Yes, but they don't need to know."

He gasped.

"I guess I'll have to be the bad guy after all."