xxvii

~ D e s m o n d ~

"Welcome Desmond!"

Icarus stood up from his throne spreading his hands as if he were meeting his longtime friend.

I didn't want to waste my time.

"Where's my wife?" I demanded suddenly feeling uneasy.

"Oh, you don't want to catch up with your old friend?"

"Icarus," I warned him.

"Okay fine," His grin was sinister, "Zaynah!" He called out her name with authority which I didn't like.

And there she was.

An instant pleasant feeling washed over me as I peered at her. It had only been a few days without her but somehow, it felt like an eternity.

"Snowflake," I breathed out as my heartbeat picked up quickly.

She didn't look weak or tired instead she looked sorrowful but beautiful nonetheless.

Her eyes lit up slightly as soon as she saw me.

Was I daydreaming?

She started to walk towards me, but all of a sudden Icarus grabbed her wrist pulling her to him. I clenched my fist furiously.

"Uh uh not so fast darling," He held her close against him making me burn with jealousy, "You forgot about the catch already?"

I took a deep breath, "What's it?"

"For starters, just watch us that's all." He then began to kiss her neck.

"Stop it Icarus!" I moved towards him but halted when he pulled out a shiny blade and placed it against her neck making her tear up.

"No," I placed my hands over my face.

"Open your eyes, Desmond."

I had no other option but to comply and witness his malicious actions. This scene was oddly familiar. Now I realized how Laevinn felt that day when I tried to make him jealous.

The feeling of a sharp blade twisting in my chest.

"Take the knife off her," I warned.

"Uh and?"

I ran my hand through my hair in frustration.

He pulled her beside him and they faced each other. He grabbed her face and leaned in while he momentarily withdrew his blade, but I was glued to the ground, "Desmond."

Before I even realized it, tears began to blind my vision.

He kissed her on the cheek while I clenched my fists, "Get on your knees and beg."

My breathing stopped on hearing his demand, and he was already moving towards her lips.

No no no.

And before I could comprehend, my knees bent towards the floor the next moment.

"Stop it please, I beg you." I pleaded as warm tears flowed down my cheeks to my thighs wetting the fabric of my trousers.

As a King, I'd never felt more humiliated but I had to swallow my shame and embarrassment for her.

Through drenched eyelashes, I peered at the scene in front of me. He had stopped himself just before his lips met hers, but he stayed like that and smirked.

He might've already done worse in my absence but I couldn't bear to actually watch this.

"Good choice Desmond," He pushed her towards me, "Begging suits you." He strode towards his throne occupying it.

I inhaled sharply as my pride was hurt, but it was alright since he left her.

She walked towards me with a deeply saddened expression and forwarded her hand to me.

Smiling at her gesture, I accepted her help and stood back on my feet. I didn't leave her hand, "I missed you, I missed you so much."

She shut her eyes letting the tears flow, "I did too."

Icarus scoffed at that making me confused.

He must've traumatized her so much that she started to miss even someone like me.

My hands trembled as I patted her head lovingly, "Let's go back?"

She nodded.

That was all I needed.

Keeping her close, I turned around to leave.

"No goodbye for me?" His voice enraged me but our deal was done and dusted.

Dragging this incident will just damage our respective kingdoms so I was going to let it slide for the good or else it will be a blood bath, which might result in her getting hurt and I can't have that.

"Let's not meet again, Icarus."