xxxv

~ D e s m o n d ~

"I'll be back soon."

I hugged her tighter, inhaling her scent which I would miss for so many days.

I would never have imagined that leaving her would be so difficult. Now that the moment has arrived, I have no other option but to fight for my kingdom and return victoriously.

Even though it was not a battle, I still felt uneasy. Because unlike before, I had something to lose now.

"My Highness, the vehicle is ready."

I broke our hug but didn't leave her. Keeping my hands on either side of her face, I gazed into her somber eyes. Tears filled up my eyes when I placed a kiss on her forehead.

She smiled at me with sad eyes, "I'll wait for you."

I smiled back, "I know you would."

I gave her one last kiss on the hand, "Bye, Snowflake. Take good care of yourself."

She nodded, "I will."

Parting away from her, I took a few steps and mounted the chariot.

Closing the door, I glanced at her through the window. She waved her hand bidding me farewell and I followed her suit.

As the cart began moving, I found her presence drifting farther away from me making my heart sink.

I guess I finally realized what Icarus meant.

What he meant when he said that she was dangerous for him and his reign.

I agreed that she indeed was dangerous to me because she had become a weakness of mine.

My greatest weakness.

But, how can my weakness become also my biggest strength? It was true that she made me feel strong and more powerful. Having a brave queen like her was one of my biggest achievements.

I shook my head. Icarus considered her a threat to him because of his growing liking for her.

I came to the realization that keeping her by my side will become more threatening in the future yet I wouldn't let her go as Icarus did.

Because, unlike Icarus, I simply didn't care.