xviii

~ D e s m o n d ~

"Ouch!"

Her eyes softened, and she quickly retreated her hands back.

"Does it hurt a lot?" She asked, discarding the bloodied cotton and taking another.

"Not really," I grinned.

It hurt a lot, actually. That man who had hit me really seized the opportunity and made complete use of it.

She dipped the cotton in some medicinal syrup and gently cleaned the wound near my mouth.

She didn't have to do any of it. Yet she did.

What was she doing to me?

"I guess we shouldn't have gone outside without guards," She whispered to herself.

"No, it was for you. You enjoyed the day right? Well, except for the theft part, I mean." I chuckled to ease the serious atmosphere.

I didn't know that she cared about me.

She just nodded and fiddled with her hands on her lap as we were sitting on the bed.

"Will you search for the men who attacked you?" She finally asked.

"Do you want me to?" I looked at her expectantly.

"Not really," She repeated my words from earlier and smiled a little.

Was she finally getting comfortable with me?

Did our relationship have some hope somehow?

"Take rest, Desmond," She touched my hand reassuringly, "I'll go and take a shower," With that, she rushed to the washroom.

Unconsciously, I lifted my hand and stared at it. I couldn't help but smile like an idiot lover boy.

A knock on the door startled me.

"Come in!" I huffed, being irritated.

The door opened, and Laevinn entered.

I was in a good mood, but who knows what will happen next?

"Yes brother, what's so important that you had to get in my room to inform me? Or are you finding excuses to peek at my wife?" I smirked.

His eyes widened, "What do you mean?"

He didn't remember? Great.

"Have you forgotten already? The day you confessed that you loved my wife even before I saw her and also gave me an earful about how much of a monster I am."

He rubbed his forehead as if trying to make his memories return, "Look Desmond, I didn't mean any of it. I must've been really drunk and out of my mind to spew nonsense like that."

"Hmm, believable." I slowly sipped my coffee while it ever so slightly hurt the corner of my lips. I closed my eyes to refrain from hissing in pain.

"Trust me!" He looked desperate, and I might've considered believing him if I had not known him since birth.

Laevinn never lied no matter how much he drunk he was.

"Okay," I kept the cup back on the nightstand.

As if on cue, she exited the bathroom and looked at us in confusion. Her shower was quick, and she was completely dressed. I had never seen her in a towel.

Huh, this was getting interesting.

"Aw, my dear wife!" I got up from the bed and walked towards her. Getting closer to her, I secured her in a back hug so that Laevinn could watch both of our faces.

"I missed you so much," I removed the slightly wet strands of her hair and nuzzled into her neck. She froze, so did Laevinn.

Laevinn was getting trapped in my little act.

"Desmond?" She asked, trying to get out of my grip.

"Yes Snowflake?" I tightened my hold on her, and she didn't struggle more. She looked at the floor speechless.

"I'll get going then," Laevinn announced and began to leave.

"No, wait! There's something important I want you to do."

He stopped and looked only at me while purposefully ignoring her.

You can't act forever, little brother.

I broke our hug and stood beside her, holding her waist instead.

"My Queen's coronation has to be executed within this week itself," I glanced at her, "After all my Queen is my kingdom's Queen as well."

She looked shocked. I'll return the crown I had snatched but with a different title.

The crown of Serandale gave her the complete power and authority, but unfortunately, I can't say the same about Laxoire's crown.

"This soon?" His eyes wandered over to her, but he quickly snapped out of it. Good.

"Yes, is there any problem?" I raised a brow.

"No, it will be done." He said, "Now may I leave?" He looked tense and uncomfortable.

I played with her hair, "Sure, brother."

As soon as he left, I removed my hands off her and placed a kiss on her forehead.

"I'm sorry."