xx

~ Z a y n a h ~

"No."

"Just once, Desmond," I tried to convince him.

"No Snowflake, it can be dangerous," he placed his hand on my cheek.

"I'll take a guard with me then," I looked at him with anticipation.

He seemed to think about it. Good.

"Still no," he shook his head.

"Please," if that's what it takes, I'm ready to do that as well.

He visibly gulped and removed his hand from my face, "Don't do that."

Great, that was positive.

I mentally prepared myself for what I was going to do next.

I stood on my tip-toes and pecked him on the cheek while he stood frozen.

God, I even did that. This plan shouldn't fail.

His hand traveled to his face while he looked lost, "Did you just - "

"Can I go now?" I held his hand for more leniency.

"I uh but I can't come along with you, I have something important to do."

"It's okay, just let me go."

That sentence brought up some memories I didn't want to go back to.

"Will that be safe? Even with a guard?" He looked deep in thought.

I bit my lips out of nervousness.

"Fine!" He gave in finally, "You can go but only with a guard, okay?"

"Yes!" I wrapped my arms around him convincingly. He rubbed my shoulders even though he was taken aback.

It was necessary to put in some physical effort as a catalyst for my ultimate plan.

Finally, I can get out of this place and breathe freely for some time without the presence of Desmond.

*
*

"What's your name?"

"It's Arvin, Your Highness." The guard replied as we walked side-by-side.

"Don't call me like that here. People will hear." I warned him.

"You're right." He nodded.

I chuckled inwardly. Poor boy. He looked so young and inexperienced. What did Desmond think while appointing him for my safety?

Maybe I was judging a book by its cover.

"How long have you been working?" I peered at the busy crowd while asking.

"Longer than you think."

I glanced at him in shock for his informal tone.

"Sorry ." He looked at the ground.

I chuckled, "It's okay, it's been forever since someone spoke to me so casually. You can talk freely, I won't mind."

Desmond was an exception.

"Okay," He nodded.

"Let's go into the forest," my eyes lit up on seeing the luscious thick green forest.

I've always loved exploring the jungle, but I was not permitted most of the time, and after inheriting the throne, I just never got the time.

"That won't be a good idea," Arvin interjected, but I was already walking towards the greenery that seemed to lure me in.

"Let's go," I motioned him to come with me.

He had no other option but to follow me.

As soon as we entered the forest, the dark canopy engulfed us. I closed my eyes and listened to the wildlife's commotion; the birds chirping and the squirrels running around.

We had walked for almost ten minutes, and throughout this time, I noticed Arvin getting alert on the slightest sound, even for the snapping of the twigs while we stomped on it.

I had underestimated him. He was a capable soldier.

"Wow!" A beautiful waterfall stood before us in all its glory. The water looked so clear and calm.

"I'm going in, so please excuse me." I looked at him.

He understood what I meant, "I'll be nearby your Highness, just call me when you're done." He left after that.

I doubted whether he would peek in, but I didn't notice a trace of him near me. Maybe I should trust him.

Sighing, I removed my dress and placed it on a big rock, and stepped into the water wearing my thin petticoat.

I couldn't risk more than that.

The water was unexpectedly freezing but exhilarating at the same time. In no time, I submerged myself in the lake, letting it wash away my sorrow and pain momentarily.

I swam across the lake, feeling giddy all of a sudden. I smiled at first, and then it turned into laughing. I didn't know what possessed me, but I couldn't stop laughing.

Maybe it was because of the little bit of freedom I got.

"What's so funny?"

I froze.

Someone is here.

And it was not Arvin.

I crossed my arms in front of my chest, suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

"Arvin!" I called out to him.

"So that's your lover's name?" I heard him again, "Don't bother calling him. He won't hear."

"What did you do with him?" I asked as fear seeped into me.

He laughed, "Me? I didn't do anything to him. I'm not into guys."

What? His craziness reminded me of someone.

"Who are you?" I tried to sound brave.

"An admirer?" He laughed again, "That's funny because I just saw you now."

"Do you know who am I?" I was about to reveal that I was a queen and that his actions had consequences.

"I don't really care," He sounded uninterested.

"What are you doing here?"

"I was just passing by taking a shortcut through the forest when my eyes caught upon a girl undressing herself. So, like every other male species, I decided to enjoy the view."

I felt disgusted.

Someone had been watching me while I was oblivious. Creep.

"You don't wanna question me anymore?" He taunted me, "That's upsetting."

"I'll ask again. Who are you?"

"Okay, fine." He came forward from the darkness.

"I'm Icarus Ryomen."