xxx

~ Z a y n a h ~

The weight of the crown was too much.

Especially since I didn't want it.

"Zaynah Serandale is now officially the queen of Laxoire." I heard a voice announce.

I turned around and caught sight of the huge crowd gathered in front of me, who didn't seem to possess their previous distaste for me anymore.

Time changes people.

In fact, they were celebrating the coronation of their queen or, more precisely, their king's wife.

I lifted my head high and smiled at them because I knew that Desmond was watching my every move carefully.

He might've let his guard down a little, but he was yet to trust me completely.

In the long run, I would achieve that trust as well - but only to break it.

With a deep breath, I started my prepared speech.

"My dear citizens of Laxoire, I hope that I prove to be a ruler deserved to be called your queen, and I promise to do my best and provide each of you everything you deserve. I vow my loyalty and effort for the lawful people of my kingdom of Laxoire. Thank you."

I emphasized that I considered his kingdom to be mine as well which was absolutely untrue.

I cast a glance toward Desmond as he stood proudly in the front row, clapping his hands in approval. Unsurprisingly, my parents were also there, but I couldn't manage to look at them properly.

It has been so long since I've talked to them.

It was me who avoided the confrontation because I knew that I would break down if I conversed with them. I had to stay strong and endure all these.

With my burning determination, I waved at the people and smiled till my cheeks hurt.

The occasion wasn't over yet. There was a ball in the night, and many royal and eminent people were invited.

Desmond looked like he was the happiest person alive, whereas I just couldn't wait to get it over with.

I descended the high platform and approached Desmond like the dutiful wife I acted to be.

"Did I do good?" I feigned nervousness.

He nodded at me with his smile beaming as brightly as ever, "You did exceptionally great."

I accepted his appreciation anyway.

He placed his hand on my cheek, and I feared whether he'd kiss me right there.

Instead, he just stared at me longingly for the longest time.

"Do you know how much I love you?" he asked me, taking me aback.

I smiled back, "How much?"

He tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"More than you can imagine and more than I really want to."