xlvi

~ Z a y n a h ~

"So you're saying that he trusts you now?"

"Yes, I believe so."

"You're right in a way but also wrong."

"How?" I scrunched my eyebrows.

"He's planning on testing you again," Laevinn's look turned serious.

"What?" I strode closer to him so no one could hear us even though there were no people around us.

"A few moments before, I overheard him talking to one of the main chefs of the palace. That person is going to approach you to betray Desmond."

I placed my hand on my forehead.

I thought that I was finally getting somewhere, but who knew that Desmond was such a hard shell to break?

"So all my efforts went in vain?" I talked to myself.

"No. From what I understand, I think that Desmond is beginning to trust you so much, and that's why he's confirming from time to time that your actions are not an act."

I nodded and chose to believe his words.

"Thank you, Laevinn. If it wasn't for you, then I might've fallen right into his trap."

He shrugged, "I don't think so. You're intelligent enough to know when something is off."

I smiled, "Alright."

He looked serious again.

"What happened?"

"Uh," he touched his neck, "Does he beat you?"

His question was a surprise for me but I answered him anyway, "No."

Now that I think of it, Desmond never laid a hand on me to hurt me but that didn't make him any better of a human because of the other things he did.

"Oh ok. I kind of knew it because he is not the type to..." he noticed my look, "but I know that his actions towards you are rather unforgivable."

I sighed. Laevinn was still lenient towards Desmond and it was understandable.

Because at the end of the day, blood is thicker than water.

"I sense that you're upset with me," he said carefully.

"I'm not," I looked at him, "I'm just wondering how I'm going to deal with Desmond's ultimate test for me."

"Uh, don't worry about that. I know you'll do well," He held his head high, "So tell me, are you prepared for the test?"

I looked at him with determination.

"I am."