liii

~ Z a y n a h ~

With mixed feelings, I dragged my feet towards Desmond's room.

Because I had nowhere else to go right now.

Upon entering the familiar room, I felt a novel feeling that was absent before.

A sense of calmness.

There was nothing that threatened my state of mind anymore. I didn't feel suffocated in this room anymore.

An automatic smile pulled up on my face that didn't last long because I found something that was left by Desmond for me.

With a racing heart, my hand reached towards the neatly folded letter that rested gracefully on the nightstand. Fear seeped into me once again, as I touched something that was handled by him.

I felt like he had successfully traumatized me before leaving.

With a hesitant gulp, I opened the letter and started to read through the final writing of Desmond.

~

My dear wife,

Happy birthday to you.

Thank you for loving me when no one could. Thank you for giving me a decade of happiness in just a year.

Have I ever said about the first time I met you? I think I haven't.

It was the day we both were in disguise. That day, you helped a poor boy and bought him food. In that very moment, I knew that, if I had you by my side, then I'd have everything I needed.

I'm not very good at conveying my feelings through letters, but I wanted to try something different on your special day.

So how is it?

Once again, happy birthday.

Live a happy and long life. That's all I ask for.

I love you, Zaynah.

Yours,
Desmond.

~

The letter was drenched with my tears by the time I finished reading it.

Why can't he let me be even after his demise?

On a closer look, I found a silky handkerchief inside the letter envelope. I unfolded it and noticed that it was custom made by himself. It had a word embroidered on it - ZayDes.

I burst out sobbing.

He had no reason to hurt me like this anymore.

He had no reason to reveal about our unfortunate first meet after all this time.

He had no reason to remind me that today was my birthday and also his last day.

I used the handkerchief to wipe my face and placed it back on the nightstand with the intention of never touching it again.

From here, I was not carrying anything that reminded me of Desmond.

Everything that was made in Laxoire will stay in Laxoire.

Standing in the balcony, I smiled confidently. From now on, I could enjoy a beautiful view without an inevitable intervention.

I was finally free.

A cold breeze engulfed me, and I savored the moment, closing my eyes.

Here ends our cursed relationship.

Because the vow has been completed.

"Till death do us apart."