xii

~ Z a y n a h ~

It all happened too quickly.

In a flash, our wedding preparations were done, and the next moment I knew, I was stood beside him in the church with only a few important people gathered around.

I had heard that his people were not fond of a spoil of war like me marrying their king, but the intervention of the Duke calmed them from openly lashing out. I'm pretty sure Desmond was involved in this matter, and most probably, he was the one who planned it so perfectly to doom my life.

The priest before me recited something, but I was too engrossed in my thoughts to decipher him. All this while, I could feel Desmond staring into my soul, and I wanted the ground to eat me alive right then.

The worst part of this ceremony was that my parents were present here as well. They were given the liberty to be presented well, and no one could've guessed that they were once suffering in the dungeon, but I was glad for one thing. Desmond decided that his in-laws didn't deserve to be there, so he moved them to a royal guest room, but their lives still depended on my behavior with him.

I felt him take my hand as he slipped on the diamond ring on my finger, and I had no other option but to follow his suit.

"Your Highness, do you take Zaynah Serandale as your wife?" The priest looked at him.

"I do," He smiled so brightly as if nothing was more entertaining to him than wrecking my life.

The priest turned to me and recited the oath again.

Now was my turn. Gripping the fabric of my white gown tightly, I was left with no other choice but to utter those sickening words, "I do."

"From this moment, I declare both of you as husband and wife."

My whole world shattered in front of my eyes. I didn't dare to look at my parents. I bowed my head down in shame.

Desmond placed his palms on either side of my face and slowly leaned in.

I shut my eyes tightly, silently praying that my parents don't witness this moment.

I felt his lips being pressed against my forehead, earning the crowd's awe and applause.

What a true gentleman! I scoffed mentally.

He whispered in my ear, "Did I tell you that you look gorgeous this evening?"

I held back an unpleasant remark and just smiled instead.

To distract myself from him, my eyes wandered to the guests who were now focused on the delicious feast, and finally, I caught sight of Laevinn.

I had not spoken to him, but he seemed to be the only other person who wore a stressed expression excluding my parents.

I felt a hand grip my jaw and turn it towards him, "Don't look at him."

The audacity...

"I was just amused to actually find a human here. That's why I looked at him." I couldn't help this time.

He chuckled, "You think he's good? Huh, no one in this family is righteous, trust me."

I just ignored him. I didn't want to anger him, which would just lead to unfavorable consequences. For me, might I add.

"Anyway, tonight's about us," He grabbed my waist and pulled me to closer to him, "Let's not get distracted from it, right?"

I gulped and blinked back my forming tears. I didn't like his suggestive tone.

"Desmond?"

"Yes, my dear wife?" He smirked down at me.

The title that he used to address me triggered my whole existence.

The weight of the reality dawned upon me - I was a wife now.

"Nothing," I managed a small smile.

He smiled back and patted my head gently.

"You're so adorable, Snowflake." He pulled my cheek. I gave him another fake smile.

After a few more minutes, the wedding ceremony was over much to my dismay.

Desmond took hold of my hand, "Let's go."

I asked while he dragged me, "What about my parents?"

"They'll be okay. The guards will take care of them. Don't worry." He assured.

We entered the royal carriage and began our journey to the castle. The church lied in close proximity to the King's abode.

He never left my hand throughout the way, and I fiddled anxiously with my free hand.

The ride back seemed shorter than I had anticipated because we were already in front of the palace.

This sight reminded me of the day he had dragged me here for the first time.

That same cloudy day, that same drizzling rain.

He was just repeating his actions again, and I was in front of his room even before I knew.

He opened the door and pulled me inside.

The moment I dreaded so much was finally here.

He walked closer to me, "Nervous Snowflake?"

I looked at the floor, but a loud thunder had me gasping slightly.

He lifted my jaw, "Will you submit to me willingly?"

I shook my head, "I can't."

"Huh?"

"I can't conceive, Desmond. I can never be a mother."

I was speaking the truth, I was not capable of bearing kids, and I was aware of this ever since our family doctor had disclosed this news in my early adolescence. The kings would reject me because of my inability, and that was why I turned them down in the first place.

His eyes calculated me for the longest time, "Alright."

My eyes widened. This was not what I expected from my confession.

"It's okay eventhough I know that a king who doesn't have a heir will not be accepted but don't worry I won't turn towards any concubines because I have my eyes only on you, Snowflake. Laevinn will have to carry the kingdom's legacy." He looked deep in thought.

I could never understand this human.

"I'm still interested in you, sweetheart but honestly, your sudden revelation did surprise me."

I wanted to step back, but my legs did not move.

"Anyway," He caressed my face, "Let me cherish you tonight."

"No," I tried to pry his hands off me, but that didn't faze him. He lifted me quickly and laid me on the bed. His hands had already begun to undress me, and I found myself struggling to breathe properly.

The rain had started to pour down heavily, which muffled my helpless cries.