iv

~ D e s m o n d ~

I brushed a few hair strands from her face as her head was rested on my lap.

The clouds grew darker, and the rain was threatening to pour any second. However, the castle was in my sight and I didn't care about the weather anymore.

The horses came to a halt as soon as we reached our destination. The guards opened the chariot door.

"I'll carry her," I announced, and the guards stepped back. I took her in my arms and walked into my castle.

My parents were waiting for me by the entrance door.

My father noticed her in my arms, "Who's this girl, my son?"

They knew that I had gone to Serandale to capture it, but this one in my arms was a surprise.

She was like a Phoenix bird. Everyone knew about her, but none had seen her.

"She's the Queen of Serendale. The one that didn't want me." I informed happily.

Their faces fell, and they looked worried. My parents were no fun.

"Uhm, why did you bring her here?" My mother asked hesitantly.

"Why else? To make her my queen, of course." They looked horrified, but I ignored them and walked towards my room.

Once I had reached my room, the guards opened the huge door and let us in.

A lightning struck, followed by a loud thunder, which disturbed her and woke her up.

I sighed. That damned timing.

"Rise and shine, Snowflake." I cooed into her ear.

She must still be feeling dizzy because of the serum injected into her.

I just laid her on the bed, but she jolted up quickly.

"Hm, so you're getting normal again." I nodded, "Good."

"Where am I?" She clutched her head to steady herself.

"In my bed. What kind of question is that?" I laughed.

"Where are my parents?"

I smiled proudly, "In my dungeon. Safe and sound as I had promised."

"So you're still crazy, I see." She crossed her arms.

Now, I was sure that she came back to her senses completely.

"It doesn't just go away like that, Snowflake." I shrugged.

"What's with that corny nickname?" She held her head again, seemingly having an ache. That was normal.

I acted offended, "What's wrong with that nickname? You're just like a snowflake; beautiful, soft, pure and all mine to taint."

The last part might've triggered her because she jumped out of bed in a second.

"What do you mean?" I saw her visibly gulp.

I smirked, "What do you mean? You're that innocent? Well, I can help you with that."

She backed up until she was against the wall.

"You keep forgetting that, I have the upper hand here." I rolled my eyes.

Her tears started to flow continuously. I liked seeing her helpless.

"Come here," I said firmly.

After a moment of hesitation, she strode towards me and stood at a good distance.

I cupped her cheeks, "Smile."

When she realized that I was dead serious, she tried her best to form a smile.

"You have an alluring smile."

I ran my thumb along her soft lips, "But do you know what's more beautiful than that?"

"Your tears."

I noticed her clenching her fists.

"Wanna punch me?"

She looked at the floor and nodded.

I liked that she's honest.

"What will happen to my parents?" She looked into my eyes.

I held her gaze, "As long as you continue to please me, they'll be fine."

"Fine? In a dungeon?" She scoffed.

No matter how much she tried to hide her rebellious side, it was still quite visible.

"I mean, they can be moved into a decent room, if you..." I smirked, "behave nicely."

She seemed to get what I meant.

"Please, leave me alone. I've never pleaded in my life, so please accept that I'm putting my pride aside and asking -"

"Have you ever kissed anyone?" I cut her off.

Her eyes widened, "Uhm, why would you ask that?"

"Answer my question."

"No." She looked uncomfortable.

"Why?" I pressed some more.

"Because my whole interest is in my kingdom and my people."

"Perfect!" I grinned.

"What?"

I rested my hand on her neck and another hand on her cheek.

"Desmond, what are you doing?!" She tried to push me again, but I didn't budge.

"Think again." I warned her.

She got the signal.

I leaned in slowly, "Tell me, and I'll stop."

It was fun teasing her.

I asked again, "I'll stop if you say now."

In my tone, she caught the underlying threat to her parents. Clever her.

I didn't ask anymore.

Instead, I pressed my lips against hers.