xxiii

~ I c a r u s ~

"Look at you darling," I glanced at her.

"Why did you try to run?" I removed some hair from her face while she glared at me.

"What else did you expect me to do? Follow you like an obedient pet?" She brushed my hand off her.

I laughed, "Aren't you my pet?"

"I am not."

"Well, it's bad because you'll have to be." I winked at her.

"I'd rather die."

I placed my hand above my chest, "Do I disgust you that much? It hurts." I wiped a fake tear.

She turned her face always staring at the moving background as we traveled in the chariot.

"We still got some hours left, let's talk and get to know each other, right?" I moved closer to her.

"I don't want to."

"But I want to." I took her hand in mine and she tried to pull away but I didn't let her.

"What do you want from me?" She asked me feeling probably annoyed.

I smirked, "You don't want to know."

There it was. Another disgusted look.

"Why am I in between your rivalry with him? Why can't you fight with each other and get it over with?"

"Uh uh, a warrior will always look for their enemy's weakness, and guess what is Desmond's weakness?"

She sighed. She knew.

"So I'm a bait."

"Well, if you would." I shrugged.

I noticed her ring as I played with her fingers, "Is this your wedding ring?"

She didn't respond.

"So it's a yes then," I slid it off her hand.

"No!" She tried to get it back but I quickly held both of her wrists together with my free hand.

"Do you want me to tie it for you? Because the journey is gonna be long and tiring and believe me, you don't want sore and bruised wrists on top of it."

She calmed down after that.

"So tell me, why do you care about this ring? You don't even like Desmond." I asked fiddling with the diamond ring in my hand.

"I do not care for it," She looked away again.

"Okay then, I'll keep it. It bothers me for some reason." I tucked it in my trousers pocket.

"Look at me."

She obviously didn't.

How did Desmond make her obey? Oh right, using her family.

I held her arms forcing her to look at me, "See? Was it so hard?"

A tear dropped down her cheek landing on her lips. I leaned forward and wiped it using my thumb.

"Don't touch me." More tears came running.

"And why not?" I observed her face.

She was obviously pretty but I had been with prettier girls so her beauty didn't faze me. Her aura did. She possessed such a magnetic and enigmatic energy around her that could lure in anybody.

"Why didn't I meet you earlier?" I asked zoning out, "Before he found you."

Before he tainted you.

The rest of the ride was silent with her quiet sobs.

But then suddenly, I felt her leaning against me. I looked at her in shock.

She was asleep.

I gently laid her head on my lap and stroked her hair.

"Come and get your girl, Desmond."

Before I fall into the same endless pit as he did.

I reminded myself;

A warrior should have no weaknesses.