xlv

~ D e s m o n d ~

"You know this is highly confidential, right?"

"Y-Yes, Your Highness."

"Good, I'm counting on you," I sat on the chair, "Now you may leave."

With that, my loyal chef left the study room.

Sorry, Snowflake, but I have to do this.

All your affection and care have become overwhelming for me, and I have to make sure that it's genuine.

So, take this one last test. I hope you don't break my heart and disappoint me. And I hope that you love me for real.

I hope that you win this test the same way you did on the previous one. The day you made me confess.

Even though I was excited to watch how my plan unfolds, yet my heart clenched at the thought of her betraying me.

I hope that it was just my overthinking and nothing else.

Please win for me, Zaynah.

The sound of footsteps alerted me.

"Laevinn?"

"Good evening, brother," he walked towards me with some papers in his hands.

"How long have you been here for?" I doubted if he overheard our conversation.

"I came here just now," he smiled at me, "Here are the files you requested." He handed a pile of papers to me.

"Oh, this is the reason for your arrival?" I chuckled.

"Yes, what happened? You seem disappointed."

I stood from the chair and faced him, "I'm rather disappointed, little brother."

He looked at me quizzically.

"You're seeing me after so long, and yet you have nothing to say to me," I myself didn't know if I was completely joking or not.

"Ah, my apologies, brother," he laughed, "I was so caught up with work that it slipped my mind."

I extended my arms, "So?"

He smiled and hugged me, "I'm glad that you're doing good."

I patted his back, "So am I."

After a moment, I parted away, "So how was it while I was gone?"

"Everything was going well. There were no issues in the abode."

"And what about my wife?"

He managed to remain unfazed even at the sudden inclusion of her, "I didn't hear  anything from her during your absence, so she must've been alright."

"So you're over her?"

His calm demeanor faltered, "I have no other option. So let's say I am."

I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I always knew that you're smart."