xliii

~ Z a y n a h ~

From the moment I woke up I knew that something was off today.

I've always had this gut feeling whenever something big was going to happen so I never shrugged it off as paranoia.

Feeling suffocated in the room, I decided to pay a visit to my parents. Talking to them during tough times had always helped me to dissipate my anxiety.

So, I exited my room and marched through the hallway towards my parents' room. I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't realize I had bumped into someone. I gasped when a warm liquid was poured on me.

"I'm so sorry, Zaynah. I didn't see you." Laevinn apologized while holding a cup of almost empty coffee.

The coffee was not hot enough to burn my skin but it was warm nonetheless.

"It's okay, Laevinn," I wiped some coffee from my face, "It happened because I was not careful enough."

"Uh don't say that," he trailed off.

I straightened myself and gave him a reassuring smile, "It's okay now."

He nodded, "Actually the coffee was for you."

"Me?" Now it was truly sad that it got wasted.

"Yeah, I had prepared some for me but then I thought I'll bring you a cup as well but sadly, it didn't go well..."

I chuckled, "Don't be sad. I would've loved the coffee if I got the chance to drink it. So thank you for your effort."

He blinked a couple of times, "Uhm, welcome."

I looked at my coffee-stained dress, "Uh I'll have to change this one. So, I'll get going then."

He backed a few steps in realization, "Oh right, I'll make you a good coffee next time. I'll take my leave now."

Bidding him farewell, I reentered my room and decided to take a shower. I discarded the dress on the bathroom floor and stepped into the bathtub.

I guess I'll have to take a bath again.

I quickly washed up and wrapped a towel around myself before exiting the room.

Since Desmond wasn't here, I felt more at ease walking around like this.

However, luck wasn't with me this time.

Because right in front of me sat Desmond.

We both stared at each other for a couple of seconds. I did it out of shock but I was not so sure about him. I'd rather not want to know.

"D-Desmond?" My hands instinctively crossed over my chest.

He arose from the bed, walking towards me, "Ah! Talk about perfect timing."

I was very sure that I had locked the door.

"Oh, you're wondering how I got in here? Well, I used my spare key since you didn't answer the door. Not that it's your fault anyway."

I gulped down nervously, "I'll go change and come."

"It's ok," he faced me and I noticed how dull and tired he looked, "Just let me embrace you for now."

Even though it sounded like a harmless request, I knew that it was anything but a request.

"Uh I'm all drenched right now, it will only ruin your clothes," I backed off a few steps.

He grabbed my wrist, "I don't mind getting ruined by you. The clothes I mean." He winked.

"You didn't inform that you were coming," I tried to switch the conversation.

He pulled me closer to him and now I could see a fading scar on his face which was never there earlier, "I wanted to surprise you."

Surprise?

"You don't seem too glad to see me again," he frowned while pouting.

I tried to laugh it off, "Actually I'm quite happy but I just feel a little upset that I couldn't prepare anything special for you on your return."

Even though my voice didn't waver but my body was slightly shaking.

"Aw, don't worry," he pressed his palms against my face, "You are the best gift I could ever get."

From where did he get his daily dose of flirty lines?

Before I could make another excuse, he closed the distance between us and hugged me, "I missed you so much. I missed your scent. I missed your voice. I missed your touch. I missed everything about you."

"I-I missed you too," I replied feebly while he traced his nose against my neck.

"Hm really?"

"Yes."

My lying strategy was getting stronger over time.

"That makes me so happy."

Maybe Desmond was finally giving in to his delusional beliefs.

He broke the hug and held my jaw with his hand making my lips pucker.

He leaned in and held my lower lip between his teeth and left a peck before releasing me.

"I'll leave it at that," he smiled, "because I don't want to rip your towel right now."

I just stood there not knowing what to do.

Was Desmond finally breaking me?

No. I can't let that happen.

"Also, I'm so tired after all the traveling, so I'll rest up a bit. Okay darling?" he left a kiss on my forehead and strode towards the bed.

Quickly, I picked up my clothes from the bed and re-entered the bathroom.

Looks like, my happiness was short-lived.