Epilogue

~ Z a y n a h ~

Snow was falling from the sky endlessly.

I wasn't fazed by the beauty of the snowfall because it wasn't the same for me anymore.

I walked on the snowy ground without any particular destination on my mind. The scenery didn't change at all, even as I kept on walking.

Suddenly, my breath hitched when my eyes were covered by someone.

I froze on the cold ground.

The touch was all too familiar.

My body started to tremble, and I felt like my legs would give out any minute.

I didn't have the courage to turn back. I just couldn't.

He looped his arm around my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder, securing me in a back hug. Then, he whispered in my ear.

"Missed me, snowflake?"

At that moment, I jolted awake from my deep sleep.

Breathlessness overtook me, and it wasn't a foreign feeling for me anymore.

Ever since I killed Desmond a year ago, the nightmares had been constantly disturbing my life.

I foolishly believed that throwing my wedding ring in his grave was enough to cope with my struggling sanity. Maybe it did help a little.

A long time had passed, yet I couldn't get over the trauma that he inflicted upon me.

I vividly remember the cheery faces of my parents when they learned that our life wouldn't be controlled by Desmond anymore.

When I victoriously returned to Serandale, I wouldn't have imagined that I was already damaged beyond repair.

Even after killing him, he lived on in my nightmares.

A lone tear fell down my cheek when the realization hit me.

I might've ended his life, but I was far from being free from his invisible clutches that haunted me every night.

The only comfort I got from Laxoire was Laevinn.

We wrote to each other frequently, and I was proud knowing that he was doing a great job as the next ruler of Laxoire. The people got over the unexpected death of their precious king and accepted Laevinn quickly. Then again, the commoners were always fond of Laevinn owing to his humble and kind personality.

I always knew that he had it in him, but he never believed his abilities.

He had also promised me protection from Icarus if he meant harm in any way. Now that Desmond was gone, it was necessary to take every safety precautions.

We were aware that we would do anything to keep each other safe because that's what families do.

I looked through the window and noticed that the sun was barely rising. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to sleep anymore, I got up from the bed.

Then I noticed that a ray of sunlight fell on my nightstand, illuminating my crown.

My crown of Serandale, which always belonged to me.

Caressing it lightly, I decided to walk out and get some fresh air amidst the moderate winter.

Putting on a warm coat, I exited the castle and stepped outside. The moment I did so, innumerable snowflakes adorned me gently.

I found myself getting cheerful even though I thought that I disliked winter.

My mood was swiftly uplifted, and I found myself walking more.

This scene reminded me of my recent dream, but I trusted my reality.

The reality where the dead wouldn't return.

I knew that I might experience more nightmares in the near future, but I promised myself that I wouldn't let that affect me.

I would win over all my barriers in life, as I always have.

Striding a little more, I laid on the soft snow and gazed at the sky without a care of this world. I felt like I was not afraid anymore.

"Because I am a survivor."

"Because I am Zaynah Serandale."