xxxi

~ D e s m o n d ~

Jealousy.

It was such a foreign feeling for me.

Until she came into my life or more like, I barged into hers.

The first time I was jealous was when Icarus held onto her so tightly and I couldn't do anything, except watch that scene painfully.

But right now, the death grip I had on my wine glass suggested that I was indeed jealous again.

My eyes burned with anger when I witnessed a man holding my wife's hand and pulling her to dance with him.

That was it.

I gulped down the burning liquid and walked towards them.

"Is there any problem?" I gave a stern look to the presumably royal official.

"Oh my king, there's nothing wrong. I was just asking the queen's hand for a dance." The blonde-haired man's confidence wavered a bit.

"And is my wife willing to share a dance with you?" I glanced at her and my gaze turned soft.

I was aware that she wasn't fond of parties and ball events but today was special. It was the night of her coronation. It had to be immaculate.

She shook her head, "I'm not."

All the color drained from the man's face, "I um sorry My Highness, I wasn't thinking straight and - "

"Enough. You may take your leave." I silenced the man and he wasted no time before rushing off.

"Are you ok?" I placed my hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah, just tired." She shrugged.

It indicated that she didn't want to talk about that man and I decided to drop the subject.

"Do you want a drink?" I offered.

"No, I'm good."

As expected.

"The party is going to be over soon. How about we return to our room now?"

"Uh, I don't think that's necessary. I'm enjoying it here, trust me." She touched my upper arm but withdrew quickly.

"But I'm bored here and Laevinn will manage the guests so let's head back, shall we?" I held her hand and strode towards our room.

I could feel her tugging back but that won't do it.

"I don't want to."

"It's ok, just trust me."

I pulled her inside my room and locked the door.

"I-I'm hungry," she began to walk away but I caught her wrist.

"We just had our dinner earlier. Have you forgotten already?"

I sighed. I held her by the shoulders, "Don't panic, Snowflake."

I made her sit on the bed.

Opening my cabinet, I pulled out a bottle of wine and poured it into two glasses.

I took a glass and emptied it.

All these while, she just fiddled with her fingers mindlessly.

I took the other glass and forwarded it to her, "I'll ask again. Do you want some?"

I noticed her look at me with glossy eyes, "Yes."

Good. It was for her benefit.

I handed the glass over to her. She carefully sipped it and her expression gave away that she didn't like it a bit.

I chuckled at that.

"Not a fan of alcohol, I presume." I poured another one for me.

I wanted to get drunk after a long time.

I had already gulped down a dozen pegs when she struggled to drink up the first glass.

"You're still not done?" My slurring proved that the alcohol was kicking in.

With closed eyes, she drank it in one go and wrapped her hands around her throat, "Bitter."

I smiled, "Not everything can be as sweet as you, darling."

I took the glass back from her hand and placed it on the nightstand.

Switching the lights off, I walked towards her.

Even in the darkness, her presence was glowing or maybe it was just my alcohol speaking.

I sat beside her and turned her face towards me.

I knew all her facial features even in this obsidian circumstance.

"Let's make love."

I heard her gasp but I pretended that I didn't.

My hand went around her back and unzipped her dress.

"No Desmond," I felt her tiny hands against my chest, which didn't help at all.

"Shh, it's okay."

I slowly laid her down on the bed and got on top of her. I started to work on her dress, ignoring her quiet whimpers and futile struggles.

I slowly unbuttoned my shirt and threw it aside. I held her wrists against the bed and leaned in towards her ear.

"Do you know how much I love you?"

"This is not love," It was dark, but I could feel her crying even without seeing her face.

I chuckled humourlessly and ran my hand through her hair, "Then what is it?"

"Obsession."

"Then so be it." I pressed my lips against hers.