xv

~ D e s m o n d ~

"What's your greatest wish, Snowflake?" I asked as I laid on her lap, playing with her fingers.

She contemplated for a moment.

Her gaze was focused on the wall as if she could see images there, "I want to live like a commoner for at least one day. They have so much freedom and..." She stopped abruptly.

"Hm? What happened?" I asked, confused.

Is that why she was dressed like a villager the first time I saw her? Did she like their lifestyle?

"It's nothing," She brushed off the topic, and I didn't pry further. I was just glad that she didn't resist much when I got closer to her, and I didn't want to ruin our moment.

"Okay then," I shrugged, "Then let's fulfill your wish tomorrow." I smiled at her.

"What?" Her eyebrows creased in confusion.

I lifted my hand and straightened the frown on her face, "Let's live like normal people tomorrow. We'll go out in disguise and enjoy the day together."

Her eyes lit up ever so slightly that it could've been missed if I weren't looking at her so carefully.

"That will be great." She gave me a small smile.

Thankfully, she was starting to be comfortable around me. But I needed to confirm it.

Tomorrow will be her test. I hope that she has been genuine for the past few days as my wife and not planning on something.

I prayed for her to pass the test. I do not want to be heartbroken.

I didn't know when exactly I slipped into sleep on her lap.

The morning had arrived by the time I opened my eyes. I looked beside me to find her, and when I did, an involuntary smile pulled up on my face.

The sun's rays fell on her, and it cast a golden glow on her face. She looked so peaceful yet so disturbed. So lively yet so drained. So dreamy yet so real.

She was a mixture of a lot of emotions that blended in beautifully to make me fall deeper.

She was everything I could ever ask for, and she was all mine.

My hand went forward and caressed her face, and I couldn't stop before I placed a peck on her cheek. She stirred a little.

"Wake up, Snowflake," I whispered in her ear, causing her to open her eyes and flinch back.

I sighed. She had been having nightmares ever since our wedding and I knew why. But it had to be this way, I wish she would just adjust to me and my darkness someday because I can't let her go willingly.

"I'm up," she murmured, still half asleep. Cute.

"Let's get ready because it's going to be a long day!" I kissed her forehead and got out of bed.

A rather long day.